another EDC-saves-the-day story

notoatmeal

Newly Enlightened
I gave my wife a peak matterhorn 3led ultra for her birthday a few months ago. as these things go, you can imagine she was not super excited about it, but kept it by her desk in case she needed it. She did like the form factor, and how bright and white it is compared to the photon she carries on her keychain.

she went on vacation to toronto, so I put a wrist lanyard on it, put a fresh battery in, and told her to take it.

"but its expensive, and I might lose it!" I said I have another spare here if she loses it, and stop worrying.

she called me from toronto a few days after she got there, and we chatted for a while. I asked her if she had used her light yet?

"actually, my light saved the day..."

my heart skipped a beat, wanting to hear this cute story of how she helped find something under a car, or a lightswitch, or possibly a earring, or something... you know how we love these save-the-day stories. :)

as it turns out, she was visiting some of her family at their cottage, and as they sat around a campfire after dark, one of them said "Hey, bob is at his cottage? I thought he was not coming out this weekend? I see his lights are on through his windows"

after a few seconds, they realized that bobs cabin was on fire!

nobody in the group of a dozen had a flashlight. nobody.

/cue popeye music as my wife turns her light on.

if not for her light that I insisted she take (and obviously she had it with her), they would never have been able to sprint to the cabin, find a garden hose and buckets, bust down the door and put the fire out. she said she felt like a lighthouse with people asking her to point the light in the desired direction of the moment.

the fire department came after it was extinguished, and said that another few minutes, and the entire cabin and its contents would have been destroyed.

she ran the light for about an hour non stop that night, so I simply told her to grab another AAA whenever she wanted to restore it to it's former brightness, but she would still have another few hours of decent light out of it.

so she finally got to use her birthday present. :)