Has anybody else seen these?

Norm

Retired Administrator
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/Dotitlights/

42870_SYL1575dotit_doititsfloatin_525lo.jpg

Has anybody played with one of these? My wife came home with one from shopping last Friday (she supports my habit :)) Great for all those dark places around home. The pic says Sylvania but here in Australia the are marked Osram and sell for about $A10.

Last edited:

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
These were on on the TV ads at Christmas in Canada. I bought a couple and they are not very bright. Only good for lighting up a small area (like a tent or a very small closet. The stick stuff on the back is suppose to last a long time but the kids managed to wear it out after only a few uses.

steve_vance

Enlightened
Norm said:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/Dotitlights/

42870_SYL1575dotit_doititsfloatin_525lo.jpg

Has anybody played with one of these? My wife came home with one from shopping last Friday (she supports my habit :)) Great for all those dark places around home. The pic says Sylvania but here in Australia the are marked Osram and sell for about $A10.

I received a bunch of them as a donation for some relief work in New Orleans after Katrina... they use them to light up the porta-potties. I also sent one to Craig at LED Museum for a review...check his sitem there's a nice review there. FYI they're actually pretty nicely designed and pretty bright.
I did a small review here >https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/102197&highlight=dot-it

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
Yup, saw it at the local DIY shops, if i'm not wrong they were going for S$8.90 each, never really interest me but kind of cute, :laughing:

schrenz

Enlightened
In Germany they are sold marked OSRAM, very useful to lite up a cupboard or something similar, easy to use (you press on the whole thing).

We pay 9€ (11US$)

metalhed

Enlightened
I like 'em.

They are actually fairly bright considering they use (I think) 5mm LEDs. I think the metallic colored housing is neat looking, and suitable for a lot of locations. I use one stuck to the side of the comode as a nightlight...just tap it when I need a little 'target illumination'. :)

I must say, I have been surprised at how long the batteries last in these things. My wife left one on all night (a couple months back), and yet it was still pretty bright afterward...we still haven't changed the batteries in it and it still works great.

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of these to see what they're like. They are quite well made and look quite cool but they are not as bright as I hoped, saying that though I have been comparing it to my L4 which is probably not a good idea! I think 3 or 4 of them in my partners horse stable should be pretty effective though.

jtice

Flashaholic
how is the beam?
fairly floody?
Would it flood enough to work as a dome light in a truck?

~john

dim

Enlightened
How does the output and pattern (I'd assume that it's floody) of the Sylvania DOT-it compare to the Energizer Folding LED Lantern and the Inova X1?

dim

metalhed

Enlightened
jtice and dim -- The beam pattern from the Dot-it is similar to what you get from a three LED keychain light. Since there are no lenses or reflectors, the beam is entirely the results of the LEDs themselves.

The result is a slightly blue beam with a nice, but poorly defined hotspot. These would make great replacements for a vehicle dome light...nice, not-too-bright hotspot for maps and the like, with enough spill to light the rest of the vehicle softly.

I've had mine a while and should replace the batts...hard to remember the level of original brightness, but I think it would blow the (older style)Inova X1 away in terms of total light output.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
As said above, not too bad but not too bright. Works good in smaller areas. I have one stuck to the wall of my shed above the doors. Lights everything up enough to keep me from tripping over a rake. Adhesive is still holding fine.