Single C Cell LED

lightrod

Enlightened
Does anyone offer a single C cell LED? Thinking of a light of about 1.25" diameter x 3.5" (30mm x 90mm) - a biggy size Firefly-III that's still not so big and designed like the FF3 to be as small as possible. Would make a very nice fit in the hand and small enough to be pocketable (at least in a pinch).

In theory, for the same battery type, about 4x the runtime of a 123 size or a AA size. The larger reflector would give some flexibility for the beam pattern.

So overall it seems a much longer runtime for slightly larger size. I think I'd get one! Would anyone else?

Maybe the rub is availability of 3.7V C cell rechargables???

morelightnow

Enlightened
i'd buy one. i would love to see "my little friend" in a single c cell configuration. if a c cell with regulation circuitry can match the run time of the aaa version i would add it to my collection. 1 c cell is probably close in diameter to 4 aaa and is much simpler than 4 batteries. plus i want to make c cell my dominant battery size.

rwolff

Enlightened
morelightnow said:
i'd buy one. i would love to see "my little friend" in a single c cell configuration. if a c cell with regulation circuitry can match the run time of the aaa version i would add it to my collection. 1 c cell is probably close in diameter to 4 aaa and is much simpler than 4 batteries. plus i want to make c cell my dominant battery size.

Just checked (I have some packs of "off-brand" AAA alkaline, with 8 cells in a cylindrical storage tube), and it looks like a "C" is slightly larger in diameter. Have you asked Modamag if he makes the 4AAA-1C, or just the AA-D versions?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
3AAA battery carriers are about the same size as a C cell and so much cheaper to make than a boost circuit that mass production LED lights has gone that route. Unfortunately most designs seem to make the torch as BIG as possible to impress the non-flasaholic. Add in a pathetic 2 hour runtime for the brighter ones and you are better off with a Fenix L1P/T or Civictor.
The only single bigger than AA cell light I can think of is a 1D emergency strobe for divers.
To get a single C cell LED light you need a custom build. Check with Millermods.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121171
If he can make a 1D he can make a 1C

-----

morelightnow I see you are getting tired of chamging batteries in your Little Friend too. I'm going to have to use mine on low mode more. If Wayne would bore out the battery tube a little bit more a D cell with almost twice the capacity of a C would fit. I doubt he would do it. He's a mechanical not electronics guy. He'd only use a boost circuit if there is no other option.

Last edited: