So, what's your Day Job?

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I'm still new in this forum, but was fortunate to get to know a lot of you. I thought maybe, for kicks, we can share our backgrounds and what we actually do for a living.

My background is a little odd. I have a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry with specialization in molecular kinetics, thermodynamics and nuclear physics. I did a thesis the application of artificial neural networks in spectroscopy. I did some research work in the pharmaceutical industry to develop a whole new molecular transport mechanism for a particular experimental vaccine for AIDS.

After my stint in the scientific circles, I went out to get an MBA with specialization in Finance and Investments. After my degree, I hooked up with a startup company who specialized in the development of an all new e-commerce platform (this was before e-commerce was a big thing). I helped the company raise about $10 million in funding before they were bought out by a big U.S. firm (most of you can probably guess who that was). Cashed out my stock options and wound up in one of the big Banks in Canada managing the market risk of their funding and investment portfolios. So, that's where I am now....

So.....that's me. What about you? I'm interested your story of what you do now and how you got there! Likely, your background will be more exciting than mine..... I'm such a boring guy! :grin2:

:thumbsup: WP

cryhavok

Enlightened
Well I don't quite have such a long history being I'm only 20, but I'm currently at University of Miami about to start my 3rd year. I originally was a bs chemistry major but will end up switching to a bs biology major so I can graduate. I applied to a special 7 year medical program there(normal track is 4 years undergraduate and 4 years medical school) and recently found out I was accepted. So I have 1 more year of undergraduate before moving on to UM Miller School of Medicine.

...looking forward to playing with some REAL expensive fiber optic lights :)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cold caller/telemarkerter for an equipment company. Former night job was a tire moneky at a tire store.

Former wheelchair and blind person, several years of experience in rehab engineering, 2 associate degrees soc science and bus admin, a few credits on a BS in Management.

Looking for a evening,night job to free up my days to enjoy seeing the sun.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Right now, disability and on SSA; since 1992. So I have plenty of time to beat the living tweedle out of flashlights for my website sakes, for Pete sakes, and for CPF sakes. :)

In the past (in no particular order)...bartender, electronics technician for an arcade video game/pinball outfit, video game technician for a video arcade, cook at a KFC and at a *******-In-The-Box, route manager/collections manager (taking money out of each machine & counting it) for a vending machine company, and - what else - a dishdoucher at an Italian restaraunt.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I recently helped a friend out with his iron-working business. I didn't do any welding, but I learned how to do pretty much everything else.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work at a florist during the day and search for scrap metal in the evening.

BTW, there is already a thread like this one around here from a few months back. (somewhere! :thinking:)

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.. Im 18 and Im about to go to college. (UVa)

During the day, I work for the Post Exchange (military store) as an electronics rep.
-tom

tarsier

Newly Enlightened
Hedge Fund Manger in New York City - making rich people richer

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
I work at a florist during the day and search for scrap metal in the evening.

BTW, there is already a thread like this one around here from a few months back. (somewhere! :thinking:)

Yeah... sorry. You're right. I tried to do a search, but its hard to figure out the key words to find these threads. Oh well, let's start a fresh one!

WP

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Senior management at a startup software firm. Been working for 20+ years and am having a blast. I've been through a few startups and buyouts over the years. This is probably my last as once we go public or get bought out I'll start my own firm.

Was a technical trainer from waaaayyy back when; was a very, very early MCSE, MCT, and CCNA (Man, those were the days). Did technical training around the country to 100s, sometimes 1000+ geeks at a time. It was like a rock concert sometimes.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I'm Director of Regulatory Engineering for a Fortune 500 company. My group of engineers is responsible for worldwide regulatory and environmental approvals (UL, CSA, TUV, CE Mark) so that our hardware can ship domestically and internationally.

Cliff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Broadband engineering (fiber, microwave, copper), also maintain some LED videowalls and a coupla public hotspots. CCNA, FCC First Phone (back when there was such a thing), also have a technician ham ticket. Some consulting and speaking gigs.

farmall

Enlightened
Natural gas compression service tech. Certified high speed compressor and Caterpillar, Ajax, Cummins, and Wakesau gas engine mechanic.

robk

Enlightened
Optician, owned retail stores and labs from 1970 thru 1994, now in advertising- print, web, specialty displays, trade shows, packaging, video production, etc. Soon to return to Optical industry when licensing continuing education is finished and licenses are re-activated. Got to get away from these computers that rule my life, get back into a business where I can deal with real people, in person.
Rob

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm an intern for a YMCA camp - I do technical support by day (9-5) in an office setting, and at night I capture video to make a weekly DVD for the kids. Before I was an intern I was a professional lifeguard - after my internship is over, who knows??

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am 15... so naturally i am a student...

hating it though but at least i can see my friends :p

and then, who the hell doesn't hate school?

Latest posts