C cell and sub-C cell substitution

j_conway

Newly Enlightened
I understand that the following question will expose ignorance when it comes to electronics.

If I buy a sub-C flashlight, like this one:
http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=188&zenid=6c7a8ffb44c75e2dd3e24d1c1c7d1f40

What is the likely outcome if I use 3 * C cells to power the light instead of the 4 sub-C's it's built for?

Edited to Add:
Please excuse the multiple idiocies of this question. It is the product of sleep and caffeine deprivation.

How I wish the mod's would delete it to hide my shame :)

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that is similar to the Nuwai 5W flashlight, (reviewed here under another name) or it's 3W little brother or any of the 3 brightness fully regulated lights Nuwai makes, then ( I assume)using three cells instead of four will result in a reduced runtime if it turns on at all.

I make that assumption because the 3 cell headlamp I have (likely made by the same manufacturer, Nuwai,) shuts off (from high)when the cells are arround 1.10V each. Assuming that the flashlight you showed us cuts off when the cells are arround the same votage you'll have about 1.10Vx4=4.40V when the light goes out. Three cells will provide 4.5V for alkalines or 3.9V for rechargeables.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i doubt you could install c cells in place of sub c.
unless the light is really sloppy.
sub c is smaller in diameter.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chances are that the tube of the light body will not be wide enough to accommodate the C sized batteries. If the body is wide enough and you can figure out a means of filling in the 22mm gap between the 4 sub Cs and 3 Cs, you just might get away with it in a pinch. It would probably be much easier if you just got another 4 Sub C batteries to act as a reserve.

j_conway said:
What is the likely outcome if I use 3 * C cells to power the light instead of the 4 sub-C's it's built for?
[/b]