Bring ONE light for backpacking/camping

dandruff

Enlightened
hi guys im planning a trip to newzealand at the end of the year.

im not actually going to buy another light for the trip because im sure my 1000ma Aleph is more than sufficient:D so cant really justify spending more $$$ (there are many other nonflashlight purchases to be made as well).

was just curious as to what your choices would be a drive/camp/hike trip, especially from those with ACTUAL experience.

im particularlly interested in the A2 vs U2. on paper it seems that the U2 is the clear winner, but <a href="https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107943" target="_blank">this thread</a> has managed to sway me! how does the A2's throw and colour rendition compare to the U2's? is it worth sacrificing 4 extra levels and the led's durability for it?

which light would you bring (ONE light only! not limited to the A2 and U2)

dandruff

Enlightened
just to clarify what i meant by drive/camp/hike:

will spend most of the time driving around the country over 3 weeks, with several day hikes (park car, walk till evening and return back to car), and one long extended trip of 3-4 days.

accomodation will either be cheap backpackers hostels or the tent:)

thanks again

cy

Flashaholic
never count on one light. always bring a backup light.
ARC AAA is the perfect tent light. I leave one clipped inside the tent.

for car camping weight is not a concern. when backpacking I count grams. my last extended backpacking trip at philmont scout ranch was two weeks.

I carried ARC AAA, ti cub and Li14430/CR2 (one extra cell per light) ti cub was main light, ARC AAA for tent light and Li14430/CR2 neck lanyard.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally wouldn't need any more than a CMG Infinity.. that being said, a nice two-stage light would be nice. McLuxIII PD, maybe.. Aleph with a McE2s..

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you have access to power plug, bring along rechargeable batteries and their chargers(duh). you will be able to use them like mad! as you can always recharge them.

if not, i recommend you bring some lights which uses aa batteries.. they can be easily available most of the time.

i won't really bring too much batteries with me on board.. the evil security checks...

Ritch

Enlightened
Never go for trekking or camping with only one flashlight.

TIKKA XP headlamp: Lightweight, good throw, boost function, lower brightness levels in the tent.
Backup: SureFire E2o Outdoorsman: Compact incandescent light with extended runtime bulb (2,5 hours).

p.s.: When I am trekking or on mountain route I am always carrying an ARC AAA-P or a Peak AAA at my body.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello dandruff:)

Imo every light should have 2 or more brightness levels. So try to get a 2-stage tailcap for your Aleph.
For a trip I would every time carry 2 or more lights. So try to get one more in addition to your Aleph.:laughing:
My lights should run with rechargeables and primaries.
What kind of Aleph head you own? If it's the A3-head, I think the throw of the U2 isn't better.
About the tint of the A2 and U2: I like my Led-lights so much, also their white tints against to the candleyellow of my bulb-lights, that I always use my Led-lights.
A good addition for you could be the Fenix L1T or L2T (AA-cells).

I wish you good luck, for your trip too,

best regards

_____
Tom

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one light? My Gladius Night Ops. Excellent throw, bright and multi-level so you can get crazy runtime in an emergency.

Jeff

REparsed

Newly Enlightened
I'd definitely have a backup light, preferably one that uses the same batteries as the primary light and even better, a duplicate of the primary light. Even if both lights break you may be able to scavenge parts from one to get the other working. Also, a light that shares the same type of batteries as any other electronic device you were taking would be a plus.

I'd probably still be tempted to clip a couple keychain lights to my pack and my jacket.

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
I took a SF E1L on my travels in Australia and i found it useful when i was driving around in the country after dusk. The car's headlights light up the road ahead fine but it was the SF E1L that helped me see the sides out the window when i had to look for road signs, house numbers, country roads, etc. I imagine NZ will be similar - one serious dark country after dusk. Throw is important in this case.

However i wont comment on camping cos i didnt. I did take day hikes though but because its a day hike and reasonably close to the car, weight didnt matter much in my backpack so i was loaded with camera gear and the same SF E1L. For the record i had a Nuwai Q3 as a backup in my luggage and 2 spare primary CR123. I wanted to keep a common size battery.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
srry lah, i dumb. i think u2 should be good. using the 18650(or 17670 for the newer models) will last you some good long time on its lowest lvl. you won't need the highest one unless for fun.

roguesw

Enlightened
i am from New Zealand!!!
anyways, if you are camping in the woods , there nite is dark, the sky is bright with stars, in fact, u could almost see in the dark because the sky is so clear at night and the stars shine real bright
that is if its summer,
now that its winter time, its gonna be cold and rainy, and dark
time to enjoy your light.
If you were going on holiday and be on the road most of the time, might i suggest a flashlight that you will use regularly be of the AA type of battery
because 123 cells are ridiculously expensive in NZ but if you are staying in a motel, you can charger your batteries (voltage in NZ is 240 volts, 50 Hz)
and i might suggest pack a few rechargaebles, and you can have oodles of fun in the dark.
Oh, there are a few underground caves taht you might have a chance to explore (waitomo caves) it has glow worms but in the main caves you might be able to play with your lights and light up some stalagmites and stalagtites.
have fun, be safe and enjoy your trip mate

Des

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I much prefer a headlamp for camping. Just about any LED headlamp will do, but I recommend you research Flashlight Reviews for one that you think you'll like.

I also recommend that you take a back up light. I like to use a ARC AAA with headlamps that use AAA batteries and either a ARC AA or a Infinity Ultra with headlamps that use AA batteries.

A headlamp and a back up light are all that's needed for camping.

I like to carry the ARC AAA, ARC AA, Infinity Ultra or even a Photon II on a neck lanyard so that I have a light with me while I'm in my sleeping bag. That way I don't have to look for my headlamp in the middle of the night if I have to go to the bathroom or if I have to look for something. You might not think you need a light for going to the bathroom, but it is real easy to trip over the guy lines for your tent or any number of other things in unfimilar surroundings.

A back up light is also very nice to have if you need to change the batteries in your headlamp in the dark.

I take a Surefire M6 when I camp in bear country, but I haven't needed it and I don't remember if I even turned it on.

I have a couple of McGizmos lights with Luxeon III's driven at 917ma. These would be similar to your Aleph. These lights would be useful for night hiking if you needed to see at greater distance than what your headlamp was capable of, but you probably won't need a light with this much throw. The only exception I can think of would be if you had to throw a line over a limb to hang your food out of reach of bears or in your case what ever varmits they have in New Zealand.

I prefer the A2 over the U2, but this is just personal preference and I know some like the U2 better than the A2. It would be nice if you could get your hands on them so that you could choose the one you prefer. I prefer the A2 because the A2 is smaller in diameter, the A2 has throw with the regulated incandescent and flood with the LEDs. I also like the switch on the A2 better.

One of the things that I like about the U2 is that I can use Pila rechargeable batteries in it.

Don't over look the Surefire L2. The A2, L2, and U2 are all great lights. I also prefer the L2 over the U2. I prefer the L2 over the U2 because the L2 is smaller in diameter and I like the switch on the L2 better.

I think the A2 and L2 complement each other. If you had both the A2 and L2, you would have a low level flood that's not to bright to read with but that is enough light to walk with from the A2 on low. You would have a regulated incandescent for throw from the A2 on high. You would have fairly bright flood that will stay in regulation for 8 to 10 hours from the L2 on low and you would have a really bright wall of light from the L2 on high.

In my opinion the low beam of the L2 is the main beam and the reason to have a L2. The usefulness of the low beam is in the same ballpark as the Luxeon I's of two to three years ago. My L2s have replaced a McLux 3x123/KL1 (gen.1) and a C3/KL3 (gen.1) as my long runtime lights. If I remember right the 3x123/KL1 ran for 7 hours in regulation and the KL3/3x123 ran for 8 hours in regulation. The KL1 and KL3 might have been a little brighter, but they used 3 batteries to run for 7 to 8 hours while the L2 uses 2 batteries to run for 8 to 10 hours. The L2 on low is much brighter than the A2 on low.

I'm rambling
ohgeez.gif

Enjoy your trip and keep us posted on your adventures.
grinser2.gif

Protaeus

Enlightened
For heavy outdoor use, I would strongly suggest using incandescents over LEDS. LEDs just do not have the colour rendition to make them useful outdoors past the first couple of metres. I have used both types of lights extensively outdoors and the incandescents just pick up features which you would miss with LEDs.

For camping, I would personally pick from my own collection a long lasting LED light for internal use - say my E2L or Arc AAA, while for outdoors I would bring my M4 with LOLA.

Blazer

Enlightened
If the choice is ONLY one light (you really should bring a backup) I'd take my Night-Ops Gladius. Multiple light settings, good throw if needed, super long runtime on low if needed. Take the lanyard as well, that way you won't lose it if you drop it during the day (tether it to your pack or hang it around your neck, strap it to your wrist when walking at night using it.)
Take extra batteries JIC.

If you can take a backup, something small with long runtime is good, because if you're using your backup it means either your primary failed (because you were using it - they don't fail if you don't need them) or you're stuck somewhere that you burned all the batts on your primary and need some light.

Have fun, sounds like a good trip.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly recommend one very long running light. Arc AAA is a good one, hung around your neck. You'll find that you need low light levels most of the time when using a flashlight. An Arc AAA with two spare cells will give you enough runtime for your primary purpose and will serve you well in "survival" situations which hopefully you won't need.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protaeus said:
For heavy outdoor use, I would strongly suggest using incandescents over LEDS. LEDs just do not have the colour rendition to make them useful outdoors past the first couple of metres.

Hello Protaeus:)

I have a question. Which Led-light do you have compared with which Bulb-light?
Sometimes I have read here what you have stated, but imo it's a question of a personal reference and taste.Sure, it's easier to concentrate and focus a bulb against to Leds due to the construction, but a comparison should not be between apples and oranges:grin2:.

My experiences are the other way. With a good throwing and bright bulb-light I can see far, but with a few in a tunnel.
You have descripted that Led-lights are not usefull outdoors past the first couples of meters due to the colour rendition. I guess, the reason is the less throw in your example.

Best regards

____
Tom

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
For ANY hiking I'd bring 4 things:
Any headlamp, preferably LED; reliability and battery life are more important than brightness. In hilly terrain, you might need to use your hands.

Spare batteries, carried while hiking in case you get lost. Either use a battery type that can be bought locally or take lots from home. (In many parts of the world AAs are easier to find; I'd hate to try to find a CR123 in less developed countries).

Spare light:
This can be as simple as a Photon II clone (99 cents at lighthound.com), arc aaa clone, infinity, etc. Keep one light on your person at ALL times.!

MOST IMPORTANT: Knowledge of local conditions and of your own limitations and lack of knowledge. Ask the locals (outdoor shop, Park Rangers, mountaineers... if there are dangers you might not know about (outdoor shop, Park Rangers, guides).

--Walter