Anybody use an FO4?

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
I've got a surefire L1 and I'm wondering if I should get an FO4 for it. Anybody have use experience with the FO4? Do you find that you use it a lot or do you end up taking it off and just using the light bare?

SunStar

Enlightened
I use mine alot with the L1. It adds another dimension of versatility for the tight L1 beam. Great for indoor use - lighting the entire room with a soft light rather than a pencil beam on the ceiling, wall or floor. The cool thing is that if you want throw, a quick "slide-off" gives you the reach. Also its great for night adapted vision when used on low.

SunStar

Enlightened
I should note that my post above refers to using the F04 on the latest generation TIR equipped L1. I haven't tried it on previous models with lower ouput.

KAM

Newly Enlightened
I use it with my E1L, it works great, makes a nice even flood beam, great for indoors then just remove it when you need some throw

jtodd939

Newly Enlightened
SunStar said:
I should note that my post above refers to using the F04 on the latest generation TIR equipped L1. I haven't tried it on previous models with lower ouput.

I don't know if mine is TIR equipped (don't know what this means). I bought mine in June 2006 though.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a four-sided L1 that came with the original head (red LED). It is a nice, floody beam. I also picked up a second-hand L1 WH head (latest TIR version) from a fellow CPFer; it is a TIR-based head and is pure throw.

I use an F04 on both (the red L1 head is now attached to a vital gear FB-1 body). When hiking and camping it provides a nice, muted, broad beam even on low that is great for hiking trails or finding the way around camp. If I want a more direct beam just remove the F04.

I now have the attitude that I will get a beamshaper for each of my surefire lights. I have an FM34 on my gladius and it provides me two lights in one: a powerful thrower with a nice spill to a bright flood.

robertrock

Newly Enlightened
jtodd939 said:
I don't know if mine is TIR equipped (don't know what this means). I bought mine in June 2006 though.

IIRC the older style SF L1 has a hexangonal boss just behind the head. The new style does not and has a cylindrical head with no hexangonal boss. I'll be getting an F04 later, just bought my L1 a week ago.

robert

Max Brightness

Enlightened
jtodd939 said:

If you look at the head and can see the LED and reflector you have the older L1. If the head has a "lens" and the beam is a tighter square beam with little spill rather than the more standard flashlight beam with a hotspot, corona and spill, you have the newer L1.

With the beamshaper, the L1 becomes very versatile. I use my beamshaper a lot, especially for closer range use.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use the F04 on my HDS when reading. However, for my KL1, I use it for general navigation. It's worth the $$. :)

Flashdark

Enlightened
jtodd939,

IMHO the L1(new) is practically useless WITHOUT the F04. It adds a softened, short-range, flood/spill dimension that is required for utility purposes. The L1(new)/F04 is currently my favorite EDC and serves as my primary backup if other tasks require a higher-power light. With 168-176 hours of runtime in "low" and good area flood (F04) or 100 yard-throw in "high", it is difficult to beat the utility/size/cost/runtime factor.

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashdark said:
jtodd939,

IMHO the L1(new) is practically useless WITHOUT the F04. It adds a softened, short-range, flood/spill dimension that is required for utility purposes. The L1(new)/F04 is currently my favorite EDC and serves as my primary backup if other tasks require a higher-power light. With 168-176 hours of runtime in "low" and good area flood (F04) or 100 yard-throw in "high", it is difficult to beat the utility/size/cost/runtime factor.

Couldn't agree more. I use my F04 on my L1 about 90% of the time. However, when I need a little more throw or I'm showing the light off, I'll take the beamshaper off. Great to have the versatility!

Fringe

Enlightened
I have like 3 or 4 of them and they are awesome, especially if you are running otics. They pretty much live were they are and are hardly ever removed. This just shows, I guess, that I prefer a flood beam over rocket throw. Plus they are great protection!

Lumatic

Newly Enlightened
Ditto, I use the F04 on my SF E1L. It is also a lot cheaper to scratch than your lens and if needed can always be quickly removed for spotting something.

My .02
Lumatic

Mad1

Enlightened
I got my F04 today along with my SF L1 and i must say the F04 is a must it really is. It makes the light much more versitile. Around the house i can use the F04 and when i let the dog out i can take the F04 off its great.

My only gripe it that its a very tight fit.

roguesw

Enlightened
flood beam is great indoors, i find point source (reflector) too harsh and the glare is too much
a soft flood beam does wonders indoors
i have one for the Pr head too

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Seems unanimous enough as it is, but I'll add my recommendation to the pile: I also use the F04 on a KL1, and definitely recommend it. Take it off for throw, leave it on for flood. Works great! Also, I use a McE2S for two output levels. That makes for four(4) operating modes, or five if you count OFF.