will this battery work in my Fenix L1T?

carrot

Flashaholic
I believe it should work but you shouldn't use it hot off the charger. The maximum input voltage of the L1T/L2T head is 4.0v and a Li-ion fresh off the charger is 4.2v.

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
The battery you picture is a non rechargable. If it is over 4.2 volts, you will need to drain it down to 4.

carrot

Flashaholic
cary1952 said:
The battery you picture is a non rechargable. If it is over 4.2 volts, you will need to drain it down to 4.
Oh, I should RTFA. I saw the cell and it looked like a rechargeable.

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
These are the electrical current limits stated in the info from the description:

# Pulse capability: Typically up to 200 mA
# Max. Continuous current: 100mA Max
# Pulse current: 200mA

I don't have a L1T, and don't know for sure what the current draw is, but I would think it would be higher than the rated spec's of this battery (If I'm reading it correctly.)

Terry_Dodson

Newly Enlightened
I just got my LT1 and was also wondering what AA size 3 volt type batteries may work in it? also where would i get the batterries and charger?

dopechess

Newly Enlightened
I don't think they have rechargable 3.6v aa batteries. The one's I've seen are unprotected cells that might not fit into our L1T. I don't think I'll chance burning down my house for extra light output.

If anyone finds a better option, let us know!

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
DavidD is correct, the battery in the link is only for low drain or pulsed operation. It probably wouldn't last a minute in the L1T.

I have a L1T and have used a rechargable 14500 700mah cell in it, no problem. As for 4 volts being the maximum for the L1T/L2T, I'm pretty sure that's a nominal figure, not an absolute. I.E. - the nominal operating voltage of a Li-Ion cell is 3.7 volts. It does indeed come 'hot' out of the charger at 4.2 volts, but doesn't stay at that level very long when under load.

I really like the L1T's ability to accept the Li-Ion cell. It's just gives it that much more versatility. The tint on mine is a little greenish (as is my Civictor V1) - not bad if there isn't anything to compare it to. But next to a B42GT, it's not so appealing.

dopechess

Newly Enlightened
Hey Evil,

Where did you get your Lithium rechargable and the charger? Are they protected or unprotected? I am having a hard time finding a good source.

thanks!
dopechess

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
dopechess said:
Hey Evil,

Where did you get your Lithium rechargable and the charger? Are they protected or unprotected? I am having a hard time finding a good source.

thanks!
dopechess

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/dsd_r123_lithium_battery_charger.htm
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/unprotected_lithium_batteries.htm
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/protected_lithium_batteries.htm

Great service from Lighthound, prices seem pretty good too. The DSD charger isn't any barn burner. I think it took eight hours do to a fully depleted 2400mah 18650 cell.

But it's rugged. I carelessly put unprotected cells in reversed one day. Neither the power adapter nor DSD LED came on. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. But when I touched the DSD charger, it was cooking! I quickly unplugged everything. The cells were normal. It was the charger itself taking all the heat. I thought it was a goner. Not so. I let it cool for 30 minutes, then put it back to work. Pretty impressive for a low end device.

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Terry,

They probably would work, but it costs US $21.83 shipped.

For US $22.50 shipped you could get basically the same thing, with KNOWN quality from CPF member AW. EDIT: I forgot to add in shipping of the batteries to the total, 13.50 DSD + 4.50 x2 + 4.50 shipping = US $27.00 Sorry!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97268

If the link doesn't work, go to the Dealer's Corner, thread is titled, "AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread"

[[ EDIT: US $27.00 ]] is for one (1) DSD charger with charging spacers for 14500's [US $13.50 shipped] and two (2) UNprotected 14500's [US $4.50 each x2 + US $4.50 shipping for up to six (6) batteries]. He also has protected 14500's for US $9.00 each if you prefer.

Protected vs. UNprotected...from what I have gathered reading threads...SEE NOTE AT END OF POST

Unprotected are actually a hair shorter than regular AAs and will have no problem fitting. They still have PTC built-in for thermal protection.

Protected are as much as a couple-three mm's longer than regular AAs and have built in overcharge & overdischarge protection. They sacrifice some capacity to do this and are also thicker than regular AAs. They may not all fit.

The DSD is a smart charger that prevents overcharging. So with thermal & overcharge protection covered, the only difference left is overdischarge. Being a single celled application there is no risk of reverse charging and subsequent (sp?) 'venting with flame'. Overdischarging a single cell ONLY results in damage to the cell - NOT 'venting with flame'. As long as you pay attention and charge the battery when it drops in output, there is no problem using them.

NOTE: I am NOT a battery expert. Check for yourself if what I have said is correct. I assume no liability. If someone more knowledgable reads this, please correct anything I have wrong.

Last edited:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Terry_Dodson said:

The 14500 cell I use have 700mah capacity. When used in my L1T, it draws 1.1A on the high setting and 750ma on the low setting. There isn't much difference between high and low at this level, so I keep it on low to give about 50 minutes of run time.

The AA cells for auction don't state what capacity they are, but they are probably the same and should work fine. I'd email the seller first and find out exactly what the specs. are on those cells. Shipping charge looks kind high - just my opinion.

Terry_Dodson

Newly Enlightened
EvilLithiumMan is the light any brighter with the 14500 cells as compared to an average 1.5 volt battery? I assume the lower runtime with the 14500 is because of the current factor?

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Math mistake in my post above. Edited to change this information:

Forgot to add in the $4.50 shipping up to 6 batteries.

US $22.50 for AW's setup should be US $27.00

DSD $13.50
14500 $4.50
14500 $4.50
Battery shipping $4.50
TOTAL = $27.00

Sorry for my mistake.

dopechess

Newly Enlightened
I bought some of the batteries anyways...and I got it the other day. They work great! light output is nearly doubled. Should last a long time since the battery is rated to be 2400mah.

dopechess

Newly Enlightened
I bought some of the batteries anyways...and I got it the other day. They work great! light output is nearly doubled. Should last a long time since the battery is rated to be 2400mah.