Will the 2 stage Jetbeam replace all the Fenix lights?

Doug

Enlightened
Jet beams uses all the same batteries now, and if they add a 2 stage switch to it, then it will be light having one each of the Fenix's, but with a 2 stage for each, right?

Of course beamshots of all the Fenix's next to the Jetbeam would be nice :>

havand

Enlightened
Well, you have to buy the light. One option is the plain black one for $44 (currently), plus a 2 stage switch. OR buy the 3 stage light complete for $67something. A bit more money than the Fenix offerings. I was looking at buying the 3 stage, but theni want the cr123 tube and the 2AA tube. That puts it up over $100!!! Makes me want to buy the matte black jet-1 at $44 and be done with it. :/

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at the Jet series as a kind of "premium" version of the Fenix lights, especially in terms of the beam. Fit and finish issues aside, the Jet's beam wins, hands down (No donut hole at ANY focal distance). IMHO, the design and finish are superior as well (not counting the apparent tritium debacle that some folks have had to deal with).

Keep in mind that the Jetbeam project is 'semi-custom' compared to the Fenix mass-produced armada.

Back to the original question (will 2 stage Jet kill Fenix?), I'd say definately not. The Fenix lights are readily available, and are of very good quality for the price. The Jets are significantly more expensive for what some might not even consider much of an upgrade and are pretty much only available from one seller. For the same money, you can get a Fenix L1T and already have a halfway-decent 2 stage ability and the same battery flexibility as the Jet.

Additionally, this legendary 2-stage switch has apparently been very difficult to produce to Emilion's satisfaction and has been delayed several months passed it's original projected release date. As it is only to be produced in HA-Nat (meaning a mismatch unit for those that plan to use it with the newer black lights) and is really just a follow-through of a promise and not a for-profit accessory, I very much doubt the run will be very large. There are only so many original HA-Nat AA Jet-I owners out there, and of those, only a (large) subset will be buying. Many folks may just opt to suck it up and order the MK-II, which is almost twice the cost that you can find a Fenix L1P (and the old original 2 stage Fenix mod still seems to be holding up pretty well).

I really like my Jet-I and am anxiously awaiting the 2 stage switch for it. However, that doesn't mean I'm glad I didn't just wait for a better product (MK-II) to come out. I very much hope that I will be satisfied with the 2 stage switch, because my wallet won't be happy with dumping another almost $70 on a light- those days are coming to an end until the next great generation of LEDs changes everything.

aceo07

Enlightened
I wish the tubes were cheaper. I know everybody likes some profit, but the markup on a tube always seems too much to me. I'm not in the manufacturing business, so my understanding of costs might be skewed.