Re: Zorro meets his first dog.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

My cat, Zorro, met his first dog Saturday.

My son, bought a Pug, Friday. Bill came over Saturday, to show me and Zorro his new friend. The Pug is 12 weeks old, and about the size of Zorro's head and neck. Well, not quite that big.

Didn't know in advance what Zorro would think, or how he'd react. He seemed a little miffed with the pup's presence. Zorro also seemed to be leery of the pup. That's surprising, considering it's size. Must be something genetic involved. The pup wanted to play with Zorro. Zorro could have ate her for lunch, except for the fact that I had trimmed his claws Wednesday evening (babysat the grandchildren Thursday, and didn't want any problems).

Is this pretty much the way it goes with cats and dogs? I thought Zorro would be more curious about the dog.

oldgrandpajack

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems to depend on teh cat and the dog and their time together. A friend has a dog that, to be polite, makes passes at his cat - and misses. The dog treats the cat with a rough affection that would get your eyes clawed out if a human tried it.

when my dog was younger he never barked at or chased a cat, just wagged his tail and tried to get close - but he did that with everybody, even the UPS guys.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah I think cats tend to generalize at least at first..most of Leon's encounters with canids have been coyotes, so if it's a canid, it's a coyote and that's bad. bad.

probably the way to introduce any new animal to a cat is to not infringe on what the cat considers his. that would be your house, and probly Zorro would have been much happier if the Pug had stayed in his kennel (if he had to be in the house) during the first visits..then he probly would have approached more and sniffed around and got used to the dog..

another way to acclimate new 'friends' is to put the newcomer in the bathroom and hold the door open with a turnbuckle just wide enough so snouts can get through.. a couple weeks of this and animals can get acquainted while doing each other no harm..

but a cat that's so much bigger than the dog is pretty funny, it'll be interesting to see how they interact..

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I can't get over how small Bill's Pug is. If she would sit still long enough, she could set in the palm of my hand. And she's 12 weeks old. Before I saw Bill's new pup, I was concerned for Zorro's well being, if the dog got him behind the couch. Now, I'm concerned what Zorro would do to the pup.

oldgrandpajack

Last edited:

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

My son's visiting today, and brought his puppy again. It's so comical. Bill let the dog down on the floor, and it's chasing Zorro all over the livingroom. Pugsley means well, but tell Zorro that. What a *****! :)

oldgrandpajack

PS: Pugsley is also attacking my oxygen hose. Go figure! :(