Has anyone bought the ebay 50,000 MCD 5mm LED's?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
because they are rated in MCD instead of lumens, does that mean that they have the same total light output but just a tighter focus making a higher MCD rating? Or is it just over inflation of the numbers? Or are they really brighter in terms of lumens?

TornadoKat

Newly Enlightened
offroadcmpr said:
because they are rated in MCD instead of lumens, does that mean that they have the same total light output but just a tighter focus making a higher MCD rating? Or is it just over inflation of the numbers? Or are they really brighter in terms of lumens?

Yes they have really tight focus. Some sellers give all the specs, so look for the beam angle along with brightness. If you want something really bright without going to luxeons and such, check into MJLED's (35 degree dispersion) or SMJLED's (120 degree).

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
Beam angle in ebay specs are unusable.
Jeled 50cd 5mm is advertised as 20 degrees, in fact it is 11-12 degrees.
10mm leds are advertised as 12-20 degrees, in real life the are 6 degrees.

Candela ratings on ebay sometimes are also inflated.
Jeled 50cd is 40-50cd by specs, my samples were 39-41cd. But this is still very good.
Other ebay 120cd 10mm led gave me only 62cd!
Ebay Light Of Victory 40cd resulted in only 18cd for me.

I suggest you trying besthonghong.com. Not that cheap as ebay leds, but their 40cd 5mm leds showed 43-44cd in my tests, brighter than ebay jeled 50cd!
Their 100cd 10mm leds showed 130cd! Really big surprise.

Because of tighter beam angle they usually have uneven beam distribution, especially for 10mm leds. (Yellow corona around the hotspot)

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I traded some with a fellow CPF'er and they are brighter than what I had, they are a bit brighter than the photons, But 3 died very shortly and 2 worked whenever they felt like it, the rest of the leds work just fine and have good color and brightness

HTH
AlexGT

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Pinter said:
I suggest you trying besthonghong.com. Not that cheap as ebay leds, but their 40cd 5mm leds showed 43-44cd in my tests, brighter than ebay jeled 50cd!
I just received a hundred of the eBay 50K JELED's a few days ago.

The 50K JELED's were crap, compared to the 40K JELED's I got about one year ago. :thumbsdow

The 50K that I got have a nasty green tint to them.

The 40K was bright white in the center, with a slight green ring around that, and then around that was another white ring.

Even with the flaws in the 40K, they were still a lot nicer and whiter than the 50K.

I was expecting a little improvement with the extra 10K, but what I got was a reduction in quality. :ohgeez:

vortechs

Enlightened
MillerMods said:
Is the tint good? Are they as impressive as they sound?

Hi MillerMods,

I got 50 of the JELED 50k mcd white 5mm LED's a while ago. I still have a few (about 10) left. Send me a PM and I'll mail you a couple.

AlexGT, just let me know if you want some LED's to replace the ones that failed.

From SuperNinja's post, I assume the JELED 50k mcd LED's are subject to the "LED tint lottery".

Varroa

Newly Enlightened
Pinter said:
Their 100cd 10mm leds showed 130cd! Really big surprise.

Because of tighter beam angle they usually have uneven beam distribution, especially for 10mm leds. (Yellow corona around the hotspot)

Which ones of the besthongkong LEDs were you testing? The Pure White BUWLC or Bright White BUWC?

Thanks

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color and pattern of these LED's are horrible. Heavy blue center, ugly yellow halo, lots of holes and abberations. They don't have any taper either, so they won't drop into many existing applications without modification of the opening of the device.

I used my 50-pack to replace the 3each LED's in my 7 night-lights throughout the house that use older LED technology through a frosted lens. So it wasn't a total waste.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Perhaps you missed it, but BestHongKong.com does have the following notation on their 5mm white LED page:
Pure White is focus on making a beautiful light beam with consistence white color.
White is focus on making as high as the mcd rating to be. if you don't care the color of the light beam, pick this one!
I got some of their 35-degree 14k-mcd pure whites and they have a wonderfully even color pattern and a nice clean white tint. I agree that their 30k and 40k LEDs have blotchy beam patterns with color artifacts.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at their whites right now. All of them are 20 degree.