Proper technique...

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think we need to put together a beginners guide to "Proper flashlight modding technique"

This could help guys like, well, me
wink.gif
. It could have tips and tricks like "A hot glue gun can work in place of a soldering iron if all the RadioShacks are closed and yours happens to go out"

Lets start with a little tutorial on potting things in epoxy/filling things with epoxy. Whever I've worked with epoxy I've mixed it on something like a piece of paper and then used the little spatula to spread something on whatever I am gluing. For some reason I don't think this would work for milling a 4D Mag head with the stuff
tongue.gif

I mean lets help me figure that out but then why stop there...know what I mean?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
some tips:

1. when wanting to fill an object with epoxy, suck it .75 of the way up the straw, then hold it over the object and blow.

2. plastic spoons, knives (not forks) work well also, if you want to apply more epoxy to an object.

3. add food coloring to make it look better if it can be seen by the user

4. when using thermal epoxy, less is more!

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
LED torch mods:
There are a few basic rules for modding a torch...
If doing an LED mod:
Check number of series cells...this will determine what colours are available to you.
Budget...Choose a source torch in your budget...I started mods using cheap 3-for-a-quid torches and inexpensive Toshiba LED's. This enabled me to practice modding without breaking my bank. I've not had a failure yet, but its not going to be he end of the world if disaster strikes when your dremel goes berserk. Actually, I've made some very practical torches using cheap source torches.
The Benross 4033 which I've found so versatile as a mod torch costs £2.99! (It also should keep Mrs Torchaholic happy!)
If you really want to go for bigger brighter torches, Luxeons offer the best solution. These come in 1 and 5W sizes, and need to be correctly installed, resistored or regulated, and only in a METAL torch. The Maglite and similar metal torches are often used as the basis of Luxeon mods, many can be found on this forum.
Colours: Red Orange and Yellow LED's can operate in torches with 2 or more cells.
Pure green, cyan, blue and white will operate in torches with 3 or more cells.
It is as much a matter of personal preference as well as optical science wich colours are best in a given application. Most people go for white LED's in thier EDC torch. I prefer cyan myself, as this is the colour our night vision tunes into and is the light best recieved by our eyes.
LED's offer unparalleled performance when it comes to coloured lighting. Vivid unfiltered colours are to be found!

StuU

Enlightened
Empowertorch-
Could you post some pics or your creations? I would love to check out your night-walking torches and any others you have constructed.
Thanks

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
It looks like I'm going to have to spend some £££'s on a computer and scanner! I presently communicate with CPF using a set-top web browser which allows me to see pictures but not post them... I'm limited to text at the moment!
Thanks for your interest.
My music ministry will be setting up a web site next year, so we will need a computer then.
I might even have an EMPOWERTORCH web page by then!
In the meantime I'll try to photograph some of my creations using conventional camera technology and see if I can cadge or borrow a computer!