Question for UK experts

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were in a position to design and manufacture my own custom utility-outdoors-survival light, this is almost exactly the body and form factor that I would produce:

UK 2AA w/Switch

http://www.brightguy.com/detail.php?Sku=UND15001

Short length, using two commonly available AA cells side-by-side. Easily pocketable. Thumb-switch on the body of the light, right behind the head. Waterproof. Safety-rated. Ultra-rugged. Great attachment options. Helmet mountable.

Perfect in every respect except for one thing: it is offered only with an incandescent bulb. Why the heck don't they offer this superb little light in LED? Many of their other lights are available in both incan and LED versions.

Is it possible to get this light and then swap in the LED assembly from some other UK light?

The 2AA appears to use the same bezel as two other UK models: the 4AA and the 2L. They offer so many similar lights that I am bewildered trying to figure out what heads will work with what lights. I've read that some heads can be swapped to other lights.

If that isn't possible, is there an easy LED modification that will work for this light?

Thanks in advance for any help.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'd hazard a guess and say that the regulation in the 4AA eLED head would be sufficient to drive the LED at decent brightness off 2AAs. From what I understand, the 4AA incan and 4AA eLED heads are interchangeable, so it would be a reasonable bet that the 2AA and eLED are too.

At $15 it wouldn't be the worlds most expensive torch experiment :)

vtunderground

Enlightened
IIRC, the eLED module works with 2 AA batteries, but is pretty dim. This would probably depend on the Vf of the Luxeon Star, though.

Just a thought... The UK 2AA body, the eLED module, and a pair of AW's 14500 3.7v Li-Ion batteries would probably be a winning combination.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
I'd hazard a guess and say that the regulation in the 4AA eLED head would be sufficient to drive the LED at decent brightness off 2AAs. From what I understand, the 4AA incan and 4AA eLED heads are interchangeable, so it would be a reasonable bet that the 2AA and eLED are too.

At $15 it wouldn't be the worlds most expensive torch experiment :)

Thanks for the help gadgetnerd.

Actually, it would be more like $41: fifteen for the 2AA light plus twenty-six for the 4AA eLED head.

Thanks again.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
vtunderground said:
IIRC, the eLED module works with 2 AA batteries, but is pretty dim. This would probably depend on the Vf of the Luxeon Star, though.

Just a thought... The UK 2AA body, the eLED module, and a pair of AW's 14500 3.7v Li-Ion batteries would probably be a winning combination.

Thanks for the suggestion vtunderground.

"pair of AW's 14500 3.7v Li-Ion batteries"

What is AW?

A further question: does anyone know if the bezel and head assemblies will swap OK between 4AA Fire and 4AA Zoom and 4AA eLED?

It would be neat to have the 2AA body running off rechargables, with a selection of heads to choose from. Choose the Fire head for throw. Choose the Zoom head for focusability and available low level. Choose the eLED head for general purpose.

Thanks again for your help.