Best LED for servicing equipment?

BKK

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this forum and seeking recommendation on which LED is best suitable for servicing equipments.

Many thanks.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Need more information on the job you need it for for example what distances will you be needing it to cover, how long must the torch be able to run for and so on and so on

BKK

Newly Enlightened
leeleefocus said:
Need more information on the job you need it for for example what distances will you be needing it to cover, how long must the torch be able to run for and so on and so on

printers, servers and copiers

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I would say that something like an ARC AAA or a FENIX E1 would be just about right for that type of close up job. They are very small so easy to keep in a pocket and i'm pretty sure they will both run from alkaline, NI-MH and the 1.5V lithiums so you have plenty of battery choice. For me personally i like something that is a little bit more versatile like the FENIX L2T as it has got a good low stage light that will run for over 20 hours on NI-MH batterys and the high stage puts out a descent amount of light when you need to light up that little bit further and i prefer the 2 x AA lights to hold in the hand.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'd second the Fenix L2T as a great dual purpose light. The AAA models will also work well, but I find these better suited as emergency use keychain lights given their lower output and lack of dual-mode. For general tasks, Iyou can't go wrong with the L2T (or equivalent 2-stage, like the JetBeam) for the longer run times & greater output (and cheaper batteries).

dim

Enlightened
While I concur that single 5mm LED flashlights such as the Arc are excellent for close-up work, I'm partial to the Inova X1, in a fluorescent bright office environment, I think that more light is needed to be truly effective. For such close-up work, I think that the semi-flood/broad spot of the Inova X5 would be perfect. I EDC, both, the X1 and X5.

An alternative is the Nuwai ALX-2611X. It's not quite as bright (but close) as the X5 with a little tighter beam but still suitable for task work.

As a potentially new flashaholic, don't be spooked by CR123 batteries. As a noob, while AA batts may be more desirable, CR123s are of little concern if they are used by the right flashlight for the job. Both the X5 and the ALX-2611X have great runtimes and are economical to use with CR123s.

I would suggest simply going to Target to pick up the pair of Inovas and order CR123s online. The X5 comes with a pair of CR123s.

dim

Inova radiant AAA from Target. Definitely something plastic. Don't want metal around electronic circuits, because it would do a major damage if accidenally dropped in it.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a headlamp? "One is none and two is one" applies to the number of hands you have available if you decide to opt for a handheld light. With almost any work I do now, I use a headlamp (Princeton Tec Apex) or the Centraled (http://www.centraled.net/) worklight depending on the task. If I have to use a flashlight, I use an Arc AAA in a mouth hold.

carrot

Flashaholic
Something like a Surefire L2 with its floody output would be perfect... but expensive. The Inova X1 is a particularly good choice as it is bright and inexpensive. I'll also second the recommendation for the Inova X5. I also like the Fenix E1, which is tiny but is as bright, if not more, than the Inova X1. The Inovas are available at Target, and the Fenix is available from http://Fenix-Store.com

If you can find a Streamlight Stylus on sale (they were $5 at Radioshack... you still might be able to pick one up), they're great for lighting up tight spots where you can't fit another flashlight. Radioshack.com still has some available I believe.