Acrylic Balls (and the same to you)

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with some spare acrylic balls I received with my Madmax order, they seem to work really well with 5mm LED's.

Simply holding one in place against my Infinity Ultra gave it the same throw and beam characteristics as a PT Impact.

Here's a beamshot showing a comparison of the Infinity with and without the acrylic ball.

fcf11b36.jpg

Makes the Infinity look a little strange:
fcf11b35.jpg

Anyone else have any experience using these ?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to do something when I don't have any flashlights in my pocket
grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Anyone know where to get a 5/8" ball.....acryllic ball that is!
grin.gif
I want one that size to fit in a AAA Minimag in which I've installed an Inretech modified AA LS adapter. It currently has no optics of any kind and only half of the reflector.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats one in a row for me. Back to topic, sorta, after X-mas I'm going to go shopping at Wayne's World for parts to mod my wifes 2C with three HD LS's.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
where did wayne get these? does anybody know?

i recently ordered a couple...and they sure are nifty, i put them in my unmodded (untill next week i hope) brinkmann and could clearly see the filament...kinda cool.

i wonder of other wayne could have some made out of the same stuff the optics are made out of?
grin.gif
it would be clearer...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Too many Wayne's!
shocked.gif
Even I'm confused.
icon3.gif

Wayne J.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir,

I get the Acrylic balls from the local plastic shop called Tap Plastics. I did a search on the web and found only larger balls that appear to be used for juggling. Only one other place I found on the web that might carry them, but, I think they were the mfg. Tap Plastics sells them on their web site. Shipping might be a tad expensive if you are only planning on buying one.

They have more sizes, larger and smaller.

I think they are made of the same plastic as the NX05 optics as I recall. The acrylic balls are not that great. If you look carefully, you will notice internal blemishes and small bubbles.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, that is why i mentioned it. there are small blemishes, but over all, it shines *very* nicely! thanks wayne (dat2zip
grin.gif
) for offering these.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir-

You may want to consider editing out dat2zip's email from the body of your post. It may reduce the amount of SPAM he recieves...just a thought.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too late. It's public.
smile.gif

I monitor all the email addresses and they are all active. There is no one that would get to me sooner.

Especially when I'm at work I don't read any of them!
smile.gif

WayneY

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sorry, i didn't think it would matter since it is in his profile...

sorry wayne, i wouldn't have mentioned anything, but then i noticed that the sandwhich shop e-mail was different and...you know
smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
where did wayne get these? does anybody know?

i recently ordered a couple...and they sure are nifty, i put them in my unmodded (untill next week i hope) brinkmann and could clearly see the filament...kinda cool.

i wonder of other wayne could have some made out of the same stuff the optics are made out of?
grin.gif
it would be clearer...