Please suggest a car camping light!

duff

Newly Enlightened
First I would like to say this is a great site, very informative!
thumbsup.gif

I am looking for suggestions on a light to compliment a Gerber LX 3.0 I recently purchased for car camping. I was considering the PT Tec 40 and was wondering about opinions on it and other lights in its price range.

TIA

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello duff:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

What's your price range? Do you plan to use it only for car camping or also for other tasks?

If so, a HDS42 with 2 rechargables (1spare), charger and car adaptor could fit the bill, including as a nice EDC.

Best regards

____
Tom

duff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome Tom!

Price range is ~$30. This will be a general use light that will see the most duty camping. So a light to compensate for whatever the Gerber LED lacks in that area as well as a backup.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome,

Try the Surefire G2. It is inexpensive but has the famous Surefire incandescant beam. The new ones also have the lock out tail cap. This should complement your Gerber by offering increased output and further reaching throw.

-Goatee

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there duff! Welcome to CPF. Hope you stay a while. :wave:

If you were considering the PT40 I'd say that many will recomend the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LUXEON. They can be had for around $25 and are a fantastic 4AA light. check www.flashlightreviews.com

I'd also recommend a River Rock Lantern for $20 from Target etc.

And you might want a headlamp like a $30 PT Quad. I also like the Petzl Tac Tikka Plus with the red flipdown lense.

... hang on to your wallet!! :)

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
grapplex said:
Everyone should own a headlamp, especially for camping.

Amen!! Eos with a clear duck tape+velcro diffuser for flood:naughty:

duff

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the suggestions.

I have pursued http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ and both the Surefire G2 and the SL ProPolymer 4AA LUXEON look like great candidates. I prefer the longer run time and AA capability on the SL. Would incandescent or LED be the better choice given I am using the LX 3.0 LED currently. I need to get a headlamp; they seem invaluable for camping, on another purchase.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
in true CPF form, when faced with choice between two lights, get both! i know it doesn't make sense now but it will if you visit here often enough. :)

we do semi regular night hikes and the SL PP is the light of choice for most. do a search under my name and hiking if you case to see the fun had by all.

led lights are finally starting to surpass incan in many ways and the SL PP is a recent example of this.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duff-

Can't add anything to what's already been posted, just wanted to welcome you to the forum! Pull up a seat and stay awhile!

:buddies:

phosphor

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
no way that light will be as bright especialy on a single primary. the SL has a deep reflector for 3ooo lux! also uses cheapo easy to get batts. but you knew all that David. :)
...........ALL the more reason NOT to choose the ProPoly for CAR CAMPING in my opinion....I personally would want floody and diffuse around the campsite. On night hikes thats another story...but duff asked for car camping suggestions.....and that suggests a headlamp in EVERY way...emminently more useful puttering around the "site".
duff...I'd go over to the Flashlight Review site and pick out a head light in my price range and save the "light sabers" for "play time".

-Regards

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
phosphor said:
...........ALL the more reason NOT to choose the ProPoly for CAR CAMPING in my opinion....I personally would want flood and diffuse around the campsite. On night hikes thats another story...but duff asked for car camping suggestions.....and that suggests a headlamp in EVERY way...emminently more use full puttering around the "site".
duff...I'd go over to the Flashlight Review site and pick out something in my price range.

-Regards
Good point but the ProPoly has really nice spill, good runtime, is regulated, cheap, reliable, durable body and uses cheap easy to find AA batteries. This is hard to beat for a rugged usable camping light. Isn't the Gerber sort of a weak flood. (I don't have one but I thought they were like the Arcs.) So I figure it would be a good companion to the Gerber.

That G2 is a pretty good choice and I don't have one. Don't they use CR123 which an inconvenient to buy/have around. Nice light though from what I know.

Definately headlamp is important. I find the PT quad almost too bright. Low is pretty bright for reading but medium is excellent for a nice regulated long runtime utility light. So is low. High is pretty darn bright for close range or tight quarters like a tent. High might be nice on a moonlit night to really compete and make a difference.

The Fenix L1P is nice but not a lot of output compared to the SL PP but a nice light non the less. Bit more expensive too.

I just lent out a few light to my neighbor's son when went camping in Yosemite. Was going to hike half dome. I gave him A Fenix L1p, SL PP, Petzl 3-LED head lamp with red flip lens and a bunch of extra batteries. I'll ask him how he liked the different lights for him camping adventure when he gets back.

110103_Peace_prv.gif

T

phosphor

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
Good point but the ProPoly has really nice spill, good runtime, is regulated, cheap, reliable, durable body and uses cheap easy to find AA batteries. This is hard to beat for a rugged usable camping light. Isn't the Gerber sort of a weak flood. (I don't have one but I thought they were like the Arcs.) So I figure it would be a good companion to the Gerber.

That G2 is a pretty good choice and I don't have one. Don't they use CR123 which an inconvenient to buy/have around. Nice light though from what I know.

Definately headlamp is important. I find the PT quad almost too bright. Low is pretty bright for reading but medium is excellent for a nice regulated long runtime utility light. So is low. High is pretty darn bright for close range or tight quarters like a tent. High might be nice on a moonlit night to really compete and make a difference.

The Fenix L1P is nice but not a lot of output compared to the SL PP but a nice light non the less. Bit more expensive too.

I just lent out a few light to my neighbor's son when went camping in Yosemite. Was going to hike half dome. I gave him A Fenix L1p, SL PP, Petzl 3-LED head lamp with red flip lens and a bunch of extra batteries. I'll ask him how he liked the different lights for him camping adventure when he gets back.

110103_Peace_prv.gif

T
Well a ProPoly AND a dual level headlamp would probably be the ideal combination for a beginner....heck, for anyone......these two lights would take one a long way in life. There are plenty of lights out there with more "sex appeal", but few more utilitarian and practical that a ProPoly and a headlamp. If you can't get BOTH duff....get one then the other. cromagnet's correct......it's a sort of a "must have". One is unlikely to give up or sell a decent headlamp or a PolyPro in their lifetime ! They are kind of "core" lights that one hangs on to in my opinion.

-Regards

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez! I must apologize for all the gramatical errors. It's hard typing long responses on my cell phone using T9. And doing it while I'm in line at Starbuck's or whatever eheheh.

[edit] And what the heck is car camping anyway? :thinking: No tents? Sleep in car? ...

Last edited:

duff

Newly Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
[edit] And what the heck is car camping anyway?
thinking.gif
No tents? Sleep in car? ...

yellowlaugh.gif
I got a good laugh from that, thanks CroMAGnet... no, we'll be sleeping in a tent, just using a car to get there.

So it looks like the verdict is a SL ProPolymer 4AA LUXEON and a headlamp then.
sold.gif
I very much appreciate all of the suggestions.

Rando

Enlightened
If you're on a budget, try the River Rock .5w headlamp. I bought a couple of them when they were on deep clearance at Target. I think they're back up around $15 there now, but worth full price in my opinion. Very small and light, very comfortable to wear, two stage, and puts out a good amount of light for the price. Runs on 2 cheap aaa cells. Maybe you can afford both lights now if you go this way.

Have fun!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
no way that light will be as bright especialy on a single primary. the SL has a deep reflector for 3ooo lux! also uses cheapo easy to get batts. but you knew all that David. :)

woh... did he not ask for a camping light? The luxogen that i suggested will most likely slaughter the streamlight in terms of output, and, do to it having a shallower reflector, it will be much better than the streamlight in terms of flood. IMHO, a better camping light unless you want more throw and less spill.

but you knew all that right ;)

-david