CPF Camera gurus help eval new model

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like whenever we get a digital camera thread we get a lot of excellent info for all to learn about.

I have an excellent camera with a couple of flaws, one is that I dropped it twice at the big flashaholic get-together at my house a few months back and the now it is blurry on anything but the widest angle which is very wide at 28mm (widest for a subcompact)

The other thing that people nitpick at is the noise or CCD or 8.x MP "exaguration" (still trying to grasp and commit this to memory)

The Lense is awesome and it's also the first HD format subcompact or maybe first period. (not sure which)

What I'm hoping to tap the CPF collective for in this inquiry is the evaluate the info on the new improved updated version to this camera. The Panasonic DMC-LX2 as opposed to last years model the DMC-LX1

Any comments on the depth of improvements of this new model are appreciated :)

I've got it on my wish list.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
noise is a problem with cameras that have a high megapixel count and a small physical CCD size. was going to tell you to goto dpreview but you already found that

greenLED

Flashaholic
CroMAGnet said:
I have an excellent camera with a couple of flaws, one is that I dropped it twice at the big flashaholic get-together at my house a few months back and the now it is blurry on anything but the widest angle which is very wide at 28mm (widest for a subcompact)
Can you have it repaired?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya, they take you to the cleaners if you want to buy an extra for $70!!!

But it's easy to charge in the car or at home.

I love the pics this thing takes. Take a look at the CPF DAY hike link in my sigline if you want to have a look at some of them.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan Rutter recently explained the choice of noisy sensors. The compensatory in-camera software noise removal is actually not bad (the low-light pictures would indeed be unbearable without it), but as with all such post-processing it simply replaces the noisy spots with made up data and therefore images become less accurate/subject to errors by the removal algorithms. Obvious problems arise when the software is relied upon too heavily--one analogy is "pop and click" removal filters for music editing; if pushed too far it starts to cut into the music as well, so there is a maximum level beyond which Garbage In noticeably becomes Garbage Out.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
most proprietary batterys can be had on at the aftermarket level. sure they are not oem but they are way cheaper

Panasonic DMC-LZ3 6MP, 6x optical zoom with hand shake cancellation. You can get it for about $175 shipped from Newegg.com

I have the older version LZ2 and I'm happy with it for the most part. Although the CCD is kinda noisy at 400 ISO, I really like the user interface and usability. It's shaped very much like a classic point and shoot and its probably the best camera I've had ergonomically...