Surefire 2-stage tailcap?

benighted

Enlightened
I'm looking for a 2 stage (or more?) tailcap for one of my lights (C or P series compatible). Preferably a 30 or 60 ohm clickie, can be a twistie though if I can't get a clickie.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
The only Surefire 2-stage tailcap of which I am aware is the McE2S tailcap. As far as I know, they're out of production now. Do a search on "McE2S" and you should find plenty of information.

These work on the Surefire E series body, and are intended for use only with LED heads. Incandescents don't like current reduced below specs, and won't function proprerly. But LEDs function just fine on reduced current; they just dim (and sometimes the tint shifts, but that's secondary). Lots of folks around here use the McE2S to turn their L4 and E1L lights into two-stage lights. I have both setups, and it increases the utility of the light significantly.

EDIT: Oh, and these are not manufactured by Surefire, but rather by a third-party. They are easily Surefire-level quality, but are not available through Surefire nor are they supported by Surefire.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. Theres' instructions around here somewhere. Its not hard. What your looking for is the " Assembled McE2S 2-stage tailcap for C/P series Surefire" when your looking around at the shoppe.

SCblur

Enlightened
Am i correct in believing the C-series caps are referred to as McC2S? Or did I just make that up in my head? I can't remember...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the max they sell is a 60 ohm resistor plates. It will be definetly be more than 1 lumen though. I have 30 ohm in mine but I may go to a 60....

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also a modification that can be made to a factory surefire clickie using a resistor and a couple of steady hands..
If I recall, the switch loses it "clickie" ability though.
Where to look for that thread?.. Dunno. Those blessed with better memories can probably dig it up.

benighted

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping that I would be able to find a pre-modded tailcap but I can do a mod if need be.

Long John: that link doesn't seem to work.