Hi all, I am a newcomer here.

browneyes

Newly Enlightened
Ever since I can remember I have loved buying flashlights :). I think it started with the huge 6d mag-lite my father gave me and since then I have bought a fair amount of flashslights.

I just happened to stumble on to this forum when I was shopping around for my Surefire 6p and I found a great site to order from on this forum :naughty:. I also managed to order a Diamond 3W Luxeon LED bulb for my Maglite 3d .

The Surefire 6p just arrived yesterday and I am fairly impressed with the brightness of this little torch but I think I was expecting a little too much after seeing all of the crazy mods on this forum. I also ordered the beamfilter (red) but I am truly disappointed because the output is so low with the filter on :awman:.

Anyways I am going to head over to our local Fry's Electronics to search for some batteries for the 6p and mag3d. Can anyone reccommend me some batteries or some decent mods for both of them :candle:?

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Batteries... get them online, from either Amondotech.com or Batterystation.com/cpf.htm for $1 lithium batteries. Otherwise, Energizer, Surefire, Panasonic, Sanyo, Browning, Streamlight (and any other big brand name) makes cells that will work just fine.

You might want to pick up the Inova XO or XO3 if they've got them at Fry's for around $30 and $50 respectively, as they are good lights. The X5 should be under $30 if you can find a white LED one.

Decent mods... get a G90 High Pressure 9V bulb for the 6P from DigilightUSA.com (or elsewhere) and two unprotected 3.7v rechargeable Li-ion RCR123 batteris and a charger. You get more power than a Surefire 9P in a smaller package for about 25 minutes.

Mag3D... look for a Magnum Star Xenon bulb for it, better output than the normal Krypton ones.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll probably find better quality D sized batteries at a better price from places like Home Depot or Costco rather than a Fry's. As for CR123 batteries, Fry's does have lower priced Ultralast batteries (I think they're $3.99 for a two pack?), that are of Chinese origin.

There are a number of online resources for CR123 batteries that you'll get responses for. If you're in the Silicon Valley area, All-Battery.com will let you will-call your order if you don't want to pay shipping (weigh the cost against the cost of gas, depending upon your location though.)

Since you've already ordered teh Diamond LED module, there's probably no reason for you to get the Mag version, there isn't enough of a difference to justify buying both. Though having a Mag-Num Start Xenon bulb in the tailcap is a good backup measure.

Welcome to CPF!

browneyes said:
Anyways I am going to head over to our local Fry's Electronics to search for some batteries for the 6p and mag3d. Can anyone reccommend me some batteries or some decent mods for both of them :candle:?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Browneyes! Welcome to CPF. Hope you stay a while.

welcome2.gif

Great suggestions there, carrot!

If you're looking for a red LED mod I can point you to this thread for a bit of info on the 200 LUMEN Red/Orange LED!! Not sure if they are still available, might be though. It's an easy Q3 mod but could also work for many other hosts as well.

I run mine using a single LiON 3.7v battery and it blows me away every time I turn it on :)

Happy modding

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newcomer eh?
thinking.gif

Somebody grab the rope and the lube, I'll go and get the rubber chickens...and you stay where you are new fella...

Gonna be some initiations 'goin on here!
biggrin.gif

CFU

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User said:
Newcomer eh?
thinking.gif

Somebody grab the rope and the lube, I'll go and get the rubber chickens...and you stay where you are new fella...

Gonna be some initiations 'goin on here!
biggrin.gif

CFU

:lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: .
CPF is a very Friendly Place. With lots of FLASHLIGHTS!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
At least there's lube involved CFU, so things could be worse.

Actually no initiations are necessary, the disgruntled/perplexed wife/girlfriend usually provides adequate punishment :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome, browneyes!
Sounds like you found your way to the CPF Specials thread pretty quick. ;) There's links there for battery vendors.

Delvance

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :grin2: be sure to read up on unprotected li-Ion dangers/handling methods before upgrading that 6P to a G90 HP lamp (if you're not familiar with Li-Ions ie).

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
Actually no initiations are necessary, the disgruntled/perplexed wife/girlfriend usually provides adequate punishment
smile.gif

I don't have one of them at this time (disgruntled or otherwise) which is why I'm on a "buy as many flashlights as I can before getting one" kind of mission.

Will save me a world of hurt (or a life of subterfuge) in the long run!
biggrin.gif

CFU