Rayovac 3 in 1 headlamp mod (simple one for the newbies)

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I would suggest this very easy mod for those of you wanting a simple, bright, and useful mod.

Sorry, I don't have a camera, but it's easy enough to describe:

1) Get the Rayovac headlamp at Walmart. I think it's $12 plus some change. You need 3 AAA NiMH batteries for best results, if you don't have them already.

2) Call Future Electronics at 1-800-655-0006, and ask for part number LXHL-FW1C. This is the 1 watt white side emitter with star shaped heatsink. If you want cyan instead, it's LXHL-FE1C. This one is brighter, but not as useful in many ways due to its relatively poor color rendition.

3) Unscrew the bezel, and remove the reflector. Drill a 5/16" hole in the reflector to accomodate the larger diameter of the side emitter. Don't worry. The incandescent bulb it came with will soon look like a POS by comparison.

4) Solder 2 wires to the positive and negative leads on the Luxeon, and run them through the hole you get in circuit board by pulling out the little rubber piece designed to hold a spare incandescent bulb. Then solder them to the appropriate terminals inside the light. Screw it back together and you're done. The 3 screw holes on the Luxeon's heatsink are an EXACT match to the 3 screws that hold the headlamp together.

It should be pulling around 300 to 350 ma without a resistor - just right.

The output is very similar to a PT Rage, so picture that strapped to your head. The Rage has slightly more throw (not by much), but this mod gives you a wider hot spot, and a broader cone of spill light. Oh, and it's actually a beautifully white beam
icon14.gif
- not some dingy yellow incandescent beam.
icon13.gif

The headlamp has 3 circuits with a 3 position switch, so you can also use another circuit to run the same LS at lower power. Then you're still left with one set of 5mm LEDs, and those can be swapped out along with their resistors as well. So you've got lots of options.

Enjoy!
cool.gif
smile.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Lux-
Will this LS work? eBay Auction
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They want $12.50 a piece for them
shocked.gif
... I prefer to buy them from Future for $7.70

It seems that they're highlighting their shipping since it's about $2 less than Future, but since they want an extra $5 for the LED, it doesn't seem like such a bargain.

And, that's not a side emitter they show in the photo..

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...besides being more $$$ (didn't know how much the LS from Future was when I posted this) is it even the same Luxeon Star that Lux uses? I'm thinking it's different.....

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Can you post some pictures of the mod? This looks very promising and I would like to try to do this with my kid.

- Vikas

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, that link shows a high dome. That would work, but I wouldn't recommend it, since it won't give you as much throw. Also, the color quality on the high domes are much more iffy.

Vikas, I don't have a camera - not even a regular one. But the mod looks simply like the same headlamp but with a Luxeon side emitter in place of the incandescent bulb.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lux,

What kind of runtime do you get with you're LXHL-FW1C mounted in the Rayovac Headlamp? ANy rough estimates, or comparisons to other lights would be great. Thanks so much.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Plinko:
Hey Lux,

What kind of runtime do you get with you're LXHL-FW1C mounted in the Rayovac Headlamp? ANy rough estimates, or comparisons to other lights would be great. Thanks so much.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Plinko,

I would say about 2-1/2 to 3 hours with some useful light after that. I would also suggest using another circuit to run the thing at around 100ma. This should greatly extend the runtime, and would still be bright enough for most outdoor purposes. Even at 100ma, it completely outthrows something like the Aurora.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modded my Rayovac 3 in 1 headlamp this weekend with my LS from Future.

Sweet! Took an absolutely pitiful beam and wow!!! This LS LED is whiter than my good Reactor but the beam isn't as smooth. A GREAT MOD!!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

Glad you like it! The lack of smoothness is primarily due to the non-faceted reflector. It should be possible to find a faceted one somewhere and swap them.

The mod is also the easiest way I know of to hook up an LS for field testing. I've been putting a lot of different colored ones in these headlamps just to test them. They're up and running in about 10 minutes.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other lights will this LS fit easily into? I'm also dying to get a cyan to try it out as well.
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
Heat wise, anything to worry about?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Both the white and cyan get a little warm if I use NiMHs and don't put in a resistor. The white's pulling around 330ma, the cyan around 375ma (both at startup). So a little resistance wouldn't hurt.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other lights will this LS fit easily into? I'm also dying to get a cyan to try it out as well.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Any color at all, as long as you get them with the star (hexagonal) shaped heatsinks. Either side emitter or high dome for that matter. I prefer white, amber, and cyan, and in that order, although most other people like cyan more than I do. I agree it has it's purposes, though, and it is the brightest.

Ultimately, I want to build a headlamp that has all 3 colors. Been thinking about it, but haven't gotten out my tools yet (too busy).

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just called Future to get the single quantity order/pricing.

I'm debating whether or not to get a cyan. Anyone know the wavelength of the cyan LS LED's?

Also, what other lights will this side emitter LS LED fit nicely into? A 2AA minimag?
I need simple options
smile.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Glad you like it! The lack of smoothness is primarily due to the non-faceted reflector. It should be possible to find a faceted one somewhere and swap them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What other reflectors? Where can I get some textured ones that will fit this mod?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, I think a nice Cyan colour should be 505nm. I could be wrong though. I remember reading somewhere in this board that anything after 510nm is too green and anything below 495nm is too blue or something like that..someone correct me if I am wrong.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What other reflectors? Where can I get some textured ones that will fit this mod?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was thinking in terms of doing a mod. I don't know of any off hand that would fit.