When are AA batteries dead?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA 1.5V batteries.

My Streamlight Jr. Lux quits when they drop to about 1.0 v

can i use them more effectively than that in another light?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA alkaline batteries are generally considered exhausted when the reach about 1.0V. Sound's like you're getting your money's worth out of them. If you keep using them on another device that will tolerate it, you'll probably end up with corrosion problems from the battery leaks.

etc said:
AA 1.5V batteries.

My Streamlight Jr. Lux quits when they drop to about 1.0 v

can i use them more effectively than that in another light?

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
At 1.0 Volts my little LED 1 AAA light still works fine. At about 0.7 Volts the battery is pretty much dead for all devices, as not much can use such a low voltage.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like your light would be great with NI-MI type batts as it can damage the batts if their allowed to drop to low. I took forever to buy the rechargables...got the set up at Wallmart for less than $20.00..1 hour charge...came with 4 2500 ma batts. Has a car adapter and runs on 110 or 220 volts. It can charge 1 batt at a time if you want. It works just fine. And it real nice to care less about playing with the lights. The only name on the charger is "digital concepts". I also bought a AAA 1000ma 4 pack of the same brand of batts for less than $5.00 (just says "rechargable" on them. You might want to switch to rechargables as well. I keep asking myself why I didn`t do it sooner.

Ken

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights use alkaline cells to as low as 0.7V however, usually the amount of light produced is significantly less than fresh cells. I believe these lights are either simple boost or semi-regulated lights. The SL Jr you have seems to be the older one with a runtime of 1hr+. It is fully regulated and falls out of regulation when the cells cannot provide enough current to maintain a certain amount of power to the LED.

I believe any direct drive (or resistored) alkaline light or one that is semi-regulated will drain the cells to less than 1V ea.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
When my Opalec Newbeam sucks the life out of them. I love that light with an amber filter over the lens.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the StreamLight Junior Lux. I have is indeed the older type and it does get only about 1 hour. I tried some expensive batteries in it (Lithium?) and it was significantly brighter, for the wow factor.

It's pretty dead at 1.1V and doesn't cut on at all at 1.0V