Jet Beam MK II or FF3?

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a small flashlight that uses rechargeable 123s. I am very close to ording a FF3 but am wonding how the Jet Beam MK II with the CR123 tube would compare? It would be cheaper and have 3 brightness levels(does it have 3 brightness levles also for the CR123 tube or just the AA one?) I don't mind spending more for the FF3 as long as it's a better light. Just wondering if it is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
As they said-BOTH...he he ...I've just ordered the Jet. Only 3 levels but regulated vs unregulated FF3 flupic..I think CR123 tube should work like the clicky, and the bonus 2AA tube-all for less then FF3.
But thats me..I love mine Tec Eos and I imagine the new Jet will work like it for brightness levles.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
if you are going to use rcr123s, then i personally feel the FF3 is a better choice with the flupic module. you get regulated-like output on RCR123s and much more flexibility/functionality from the flupic module. But of course you will be limited to the cr123 and cr2 sized battery tubes to my knowledge.

on the other hand, if you want flexibility of battery types, then the jetbeam would be a better choice, with a wide choice of battery types from its AA tube, AA extension tube, and CR123 tube. the MKII now incorporates various brightness levels and a strobe, which really puts it in good competition with the FF3. i don't know if the levels and strobe rates are user settable on the MKII though.

both are well made, but the FF3 being a custom just has that extra touch in precision workmanship. it's machining is superb and it's a joy to operate. but on the other hand, i believe the jetbeam to be more robust, with thicker/better anodizing and a sapphire window and a cheaper price which to me makes it a better 'rough use' light.

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
The AA and 2 AA tubes for the Jet Beam are not very important to me. I would only be using the 123 tube. All I need is it to be water proof to at least 1, have relatively good run time and have a low and high mode. Guess so far the FF3 is better. Seems like the only thing that the Jet Beam does better is that it has some flexability with battery types.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do not get the clicky or multiple levels and strobe with the Jet CR123 tube. And the 123 tube does not fit most regulated RCR123's. I use a non-regulated RCR123 in mine.
Not until someone comes out with a CR123 adapter tube like Nekomane's tubes for Fenix, will we get a Jet 3 level plus strobe with CR123's.

I say get the FF3 if you want multi-level in a small CR123.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
liteMANIAC said:
The AA and 2 AA tubes for the Jet Beam are not very important to me. I would only be using the 123 tube. All I need is it to be water proof to at least 1, have relatively good run time and have a low and high mode. Guess so far the FF3 is better. Seems like the only thing that the Jet Beam does better is that it has some flexability with battery types.

for your criteria, the FF3 does seem like the better choice.

i would add though, that the Jet's anodizing is far tougher than the FF3's, and the Jet-I (with double o-ring seals) will also be far more water resistant than the FF3. i don't know what you mean by "waterproof to at least 1", but to be honest, i wouldn't trust my FF3 deeper than a bathtub. i'm not saying that it can't, and i think someone took it into a swimming pool once, but while the lack of friction from the FF3's o-ring makes for nice smooth twisty operation, it's just not confidence inspiring if i were to take it too far underwater =)

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
:oops: I meant to put waterproof to at least 1 meter. Is the runtime simular on max for both lights(750mah protected 123)?

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
I have the FF3 and JetBeam CR123. My EDC is the FF3. FF3 is a bit brighter, but the JetBeam is also very bright. The FF3 is heavier and more solid feeling, as well as more versatile with the different programable levels, strobe, etc. Both good lights and although I like the FF3 better for functionality, but it's also more $. I'd buy both again.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i think the FF3 should be waterproof to 1m, but don't hold me to that =)

runtimes are difficult to answer, given different circuits on each light, delivering different levels of brightness/settings/regulation for each light.

you can check post #157 on this thread for FF3 info:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1513484#post1513161

the Jet MKII is new and not much info, but for the Jet-I, you can check these threads for some info:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108505&highlight=jetbeam+runtime%2A
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125146&highlight=jetbeam+runtime%2A

Tremendo

Enlightened
FF3 swims fine, at least mine has. It's sealed pretty well.

Also, both my FF3 & Jetbeam CR123 have very white great beams.

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
You do not get the clicky or multiple levels and strobe with the Jet CR123 tube. And the 123 tube does not fit most regulated RCR123's. I use a non-regulated RCR123 in mine.
Not until someone comes out with a CR123 adapter tube like Nekomane's tubes for Fenix, will we get a Jet 3 level plus strobe with CR123's.

I say get the FF3 if you want multi-level in a small CR123.

Hi,
from where did you get this info?
Why there is non multiple levels with CR123 tube?
What about AW's protected betteries??? good or not...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Jet-1 with the CR123 body so I know, but I knew before receiving it (but not before ordering it) that the CR123 tube had no clicky on it from the pictures Emilion posted in the sales thread. The CR123 is a twisty and Emilion has stated that the Jet-1 is viewed primarily as a AA light and the CR123 body is just an accessory that will not be developed further.
I am making a PIL soon that you can drop in to make it two-stage using a CR2/RCR2, but it requires you to disable the spring in the head somehow (replace it with a post or put something in it to disable it from compressing).

I don't have AW's batteries, so someone else will have to address the fit of those.

Kalinux

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
I have a Jet-1 with the CR123 body so I know, but I knew before receiving it (but not before ordering it) that the CR123 tube had no clicky on it from the pictures Emilion posted in the sales thread. The CR123 is a twisty and Emilion has stated that the Jet-1 is viewed primarily as a AA light and the CR123 body is just an accessory that will not be developed further.
I am making a PIL soon that you can drop in to make it two-stage using a CR2/RCR2, but it requires you to disable the spring in the head somehow (replace it with a post or put something in it to disable it from compressing).

I don't have AW's batteries, so someone else will have to address the fit of those.

Hi Blindasabat,
we are talking about MK II,(3 STAGE controled by IC in the head.)
see here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/125769&page=1

Presumably It should work like FF3-no clicky but twist on->twist off if one can make it in less then 2 sec...But not confirmed yet