Electronic Mosquito repellers

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I think we have the "healthiest" mosquito population in the world here in Alaska! :D They're BIG too! I mean REALLY HUGE - one can see the fur (tiny hairs) on their bodies without any magnifying lens!!

Here's an interesting excerpt from this article:
(Scroll down to Electronic Devices for additional text and the included link is good as well!)

Electronic Devices [size=-1](for more information see: Electronic Pest Control Devices)[/size]
[size=-1]
Dr. Richard Gorham, of the Arctic Health Research Laboratory in Fairbanks, took an ultrasonic mosquito repeller to Sagwon on the North Slope. The machine emitted a kind of extremely high-pitched whine that supposedly sent mosquitoes far, far away. Gorham challenged that claim by testing the whiner at the height of mosquito season. A true scientist, he calibrated the mosquito density by exposing the back of his unprotected hand for five minutes, counting the number of mosquitoes that drew blood.[/size] [size=-1]From that part of the experiment alone, Gorham was able to calculate that had he been stripped naked and tied to a post at Sagwon, he would have died from loss of blood in two and a half hours. Then he turned on the whining device, and found that with its help, he'd die more quickly. The number of mosquitoes biting within five minutes actually increased slightly. He was not surprised, since mosquitoes use their own characteristic whine as a method for finding mates; high-pitched whines can be the mosquito equivalent of a wolf whistle. The non biting male mosquitoes are most likely to be attracted, but females may also use such signals to detect happy clouds of their sisters zeroing in on food.[/size]

Someone sent me 5 of those little single AA cell repellers. I'm pretty sure they didn't help and I'm agreeing with the article that they actually brought more in!

Another thing, my hearing is pretty sensitive and I had place them all around the deck in the backyard - the high frequency pitch drove me crazy! Maybe that's how they work - drove me indoors!

Don't waste money! Go out and get a good batch of fish & chips!

Maybe someone else has had positive experiences with them? I think it's one of those "we'll buy anything" gadgets! Glad I didn't pay for them, however the family member who sent them had good intentions and it was the kind thought that counted!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that eating garlic in capsule form, keeps the mosquito`s away as they don`t like the smell.

also taking vitamin b supplement works.

If your going on holiday take it 10 days before you go to let it build up in your body.

regards.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox (UK) said:
I read that eating garlic in capsule form, keeps the mosquito`s away as they don`t like the smell.

also taking vitamin b supplement works.

If your going on holiday take it 10 days before you go to let it build up in your body.

regards.

Personally, i like Marmite, and seem to get bitten less frequently than my wife, who doesn't like marmite (Vitamin B's)

I alway take a small jar away with me on holiday too, recent trip to Hong Kong (Old Territories) countryside left me relatively unbitten, she sufffered.

I then discovered her repeller was not only switched off, it was inside her handbag !!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can take any vitamins and other things you want, but when it comes down to the sheer volume of the infestation of these little buggers you best use a real insect repellent. I am not as yummy to them as my wife and daughter are, they are like a buffet if they so much as step outside, but when i'm working or messing about in the bushes I spray myself down with either DEET or the new Cutter Advanced stuff which I like better but isn't quite as effective if you're going to be wading out in the bog.

These things carry nasty bugs. Even beyond the famous things like malaria and west nile virus, I know at least 2 people that have been diagnosed with west Nile over the last few years, and probably a dozen over my lifetime that have gotten NASTY bouts of Meningitis or Encephalitis that was traced back (probably) to mosquito bites. Especially as the summer matures the buggers carry more nasties.

Spray the juice on yourself and avoid having random mutated viruses cause your brain to swell and end up having to have a lumbar puncture to diagnose it! If you want to experiment with alternative forms of mosquito protection, test it in your backyard, if all you bring on your campout are garlic pills noise makers you're going to have a very unpleasant trip!

Lets un-ban DDT so we can put an end to these critters once and for all!

Haz

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:

garlic is famous for repelling many other things too!!!

I wonder if vampires are afraid of garlic because of the smell, since they are blood suckers like mosquitoes.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Sigman said:
[size=-1]A true scientist,... [/size][size=-1]Gorham was able to calculate that had he been stripped naked and tied to a post at Sagwon, he would have died from loss of blood in two and a half hours. Then he turned on the whining device, and found that with its help, he'd die more quickly. [/size]
:lolsign: :crackup:

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I did a little research on these for my Mom a while back. Yup, they don't work at all.

Sigman, never been to Alaska, but I've had encounters with some "beefy" mosquitoes down in the tropics - you know, the kind you swap and it feels "fleshy"... :green: ...and the little buggers are *fast* too!

There are some beautiful-looking ones too - iridescent green, fluffy legs, etc.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn, what is your experience with the ThermaCELL? I just ordered one after surfing the web as it has mostly good reviews.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too shabby. Breeze effects it, as you'd imagine. But, the product works. I only had a few opportunities to use it, but I am happy with it.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never known the electronic repellers to work, but I have noticed that when the bats come out the mosquitoes here disappear, I guess, because they hear the echo-location sounds the bats make.

alaskawolf

Enlightened
racket4am.jpg

these work the best :)