Newbie alert

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi. My name is Larry and I am a flashaholic. It all started over 15 years ago when I got one of those cute, black anodized aluminum AA lights. I found myself even giving them to friends to try and addict them too. Next came the Bucklight 4AA and the little aluminum one became a spare. Then came the SF 6P, soon converted to 9P. Then I started making them. I found myself buying $8 Panasonic 1.5cd blue LEDs and clustering them! A few weeks ago, a review of the Arc AAA at Dan's Data had me drewling uncontrollably, so I ordered one. (And then a bunch of LEDs from Nichia:D) The link at Arc Llc brought me here. Help me get this under control! I have a BB 500mA and an Arc
AAA LE on order and am contemplating some scary stuff.

This is an awsome site with some awsome members.

Larry

freeze12

Enlightened
Welcome to the Board!! If You think joining this board will help You control Your Flashlight spending-- then leave now!!! :)
I also am rather new and there are some great modder's on this board!One in particular is Wayne (ElektroLumen's) I just ordered 2 light's from Him to make me... One is a "QuadLux" 4 Luxeon Star's!! #2 light is a 5 watt Cyan light!! These thing's are BRIGHT!!!

Good luck! :0)

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome tvodrd,

Since you've found CPF, there really is no help or stopping you now; sorry. You soon will be broke and found in a dark closet mumbling something about candelas and lumens.........

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to this flashaholic's prison. This is the end for you (actually, the beginning of even bigger problems you might imagine). Once you are here, you will be hopelessly splurging money on our prestigious modders work, including but not limited to Lambda, Mr Bulb, Dat2zip, Electrolumens and loads of others whom I can't remember at this moment. After 1 week here, you will notice that your house is usually full of lights, you barely have room to move about, and that everyday, in the morning when you woke up and at nite b4 you sleep, you will need to flash yourself with a Cyan 5 watter, a Royal Blue 15 watter tri-cluster. (sounds like me) and soon, your friend will leave you when you start confronting them with cadelas, lumens, foot candles, pupils of the eye dilating when exposed to certain wavelengths of light, soldering small little luxeons onto insanely sized heatsinks and not to mention a cyrogenic machine for keeping that 5 watter which you have over-driven to 50 watts cool with liquid nitrogen.

Very soon tvodrd... very soon...

Anyway, welcome once again!

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right. It's the Coytains fowyah.

The writing is on the wall the moment you take interest in those 'links' on a flashlight webpage
grin.gif

Welcome.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is all over now; you sold your soul for flashlights. In an attempt to appear normal, you will try to talk your kids into LED lights for Christmas "Santa will bring you a 5 watt, side emitter, cyan flashlight and give it to Dad for safe keeping" (Will not work, tried it
frown.gif

The paranoia will hit...need 40 flashlights "just in case". Solar panels to recharge batteries "just in case"... I would write more, but need to find a Brinkmann AA flashlight to see if my BB500 will work better.
grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks guys! I've been making them for 5 years now, but not as cool as some I have seen here. Planning a saphire lens for the Arc AAA LE I ordered 11/17 (B/O I presume until??)and a major rework for the front of a m**i m*g when the BB 500 gets here. (Mailed the M.O. last monday) Gonna be a bright Christmas
grin.gif

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
welcome to the board! leave while you can!

a saphire lens for the arc aaa? how are you going to manage that?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Rothrandir- I measured the (non LE) one I have and there is about .042" from the front to the LED dome. (Little over 1 mm.) You can get a 10mm dia X 1mm thk saphire window here:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?Productid=1904
A little careful lathe work and some suitable adhesive, and wont have to worry about the LED getting scratched-up in my pocket.

(And you sure build some awsome lights!)

Larry

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Hi and welcome to the world of torchaholism!
I can vouch for Elektrolumens' torches...theyu re bright....seriously bright!
My torchaholism started about this im last year... I was given an old 2AA rfubber torch to mod to LED....one torch and you're hooked!
Now I have a home full of torches and an often empty wallet!