Illuminator SE - Side Emitting Luxeon Illuminator

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's whiter and brighter than an Illuminator?

An Illuminator SE
grin.gif

This has the Illuminator standard case, pewter Brinkmann 2AA with clickie tail switch, and DC/DC circuit powering a pure white SE Luxeon using a modified reflector. Smooth even beam with no artifacts or rings measures at 560Lux+.

ilreflect2.jpg
ilreflec3.jpg
ilreflec1.jpg

I almost gave up on using small reflectors with the SE Luxeons as the beam always looked horible. Well, not any more. A precision trim and modification makes the reflector produce a beam almost like the NX05 optics with a LD Luxeon, only brighter.

Finally, a small flashlight with pure white light and a smooth even beam.

Time for a break, I'm thirsty from all this modding........
yellowlaugh.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hoo Boy! An Illuminator brighter than the original LGI (which made "only" 488 lux) and with a SureFire-style dimpled reflector to produce a smooth, even beam. Lambda, methinks you hit the proverbial Nayull On Da Haid!

Uh -- the line forms BEHIND me...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
with a SureFire-style dimpled reflector to produce a smooth, even beam.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh boy, there ya go giving away my secrets for the Krylon sputered dimpled reflector modification. Just because it can turn any reflector into a dimpled style reflector is no reason to go around talking about it. Now everyone is going to want to know how to do it...........

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by lambda:
Oh boy, there ya go giving away my secrets for the Krylon sputered dimpled reflector modification. Just because it can turn any reflector into a dimpled style reflector is no reason to go around talking about it. Now everyone is going to want to know how to do it...........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
grin.gif
Thanks Lambda! We won't bother you with ............ on second thought, how did you.........
grin.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
Lambda,

This is interesting--let me know if you're selling any!

It's brighter than the KL-3!! I'm assuming you're saying lux at one meter--I wish everyone would switch to candelas for this measurement <smile>.

It's the same thing. one lux at one meter, one footcandle at one foot both equal one candela.

Is the beam adjustable?

Cheers,

Richard

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never bought any mods from anyone, but this one looks very tempting. I really need a small light with good throw, and don't care about runtime. Looks like you've done it with this one.
icon14.gif

Please tell us you're selling them, and if you want to, feel free to tell about the reflector modifications.

RickLux

Newly Enlightened
Beer just beer ? I was figuring some kinda men in black bug juice for the brain!!
New rule the guy who post the first reply gets the first shot when it goes on sale OK is that fair to everyone??
grin.gif
I think it's fair!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Originally posted by RickLux:

New rule the guy who post the first reply gets the first shot when it goes on sale OK is that fair to everyone??
grin.gif
I think it's fair!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hah! NEGATIVE!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
It's the first guy posting who says they WANT one, as in: "...the line forms BEHIND me..." which was posted by Yours Truly!
icon15.gif
icon15.gif
icon15.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by whiskypapa3:
Bud LIGHT?? Surely a true modder would be drinking a nice light ale poured into a Bud Light can. Now that's a mod!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ok, you caught me; there was some AmberBock involved.

First, not every IL SE made will be this bright. This one (mine) is using an unknown BIN Luxeon brighter than Q2H. This is the last of the first SE Luxeons I received, from the same bunch that registered over 5000 Lux in a Cyclops mod.

Not all bad news though, other SEs are reading 350 to 500+ Lux depending on their disposition. Also, remember light meters measure peak readings taken at a point. So, all readings are higher before the reflector gets its rework. Smoothing the beam means taking some of the bright blotches and blending them into the dark blotches to come up with a smooth beam (averaging the light output). So a light with an unmodified reflector may get readings in the high 700+ Lux (measured at a bright blob) but after smoothing may only give readings around 450 Lux. So the amount of "smoothing" employed will affect peak readings; same amount of light output, just spread out more.

Krylon sputered dimpled reflector modification - this works quite well, but be warned, it is a one way trip for your reflector and can not be undone.

Krylon sputtering involves using the clear Krylon acrylic spray to lightly coat the reflector surface with splotches to form a dimpled surface. It is important to note that we are not painting the surface with an even coat. That only results in a blurry picture of the beam artifacts. We want a speckeled or blotchy appearance.

sputter1.jpg

This photo shows what a sputtered reflector on the left looks like compared to an untouched one on the right. Notice the difference in the reflected light between the two. The one on the left has a textured look compared to the smooth mirror surface on the right. These are full size Mag reflectors used in the photo as I couldn't get the camera to show anything using the smaller Brinkmann AA reflectors.

I've built several of these units to date. While this one certainly has the highest readings, swapping reflectors between them also chages the peak readings. So its a matter of how much smoothing is employed and which reflector is used with which SE Luxeon.

Some SE Luxeons/reflectors need more smoothing than others and therefore will measure lower. The actual visible difference when using the lights is minimal.

So, while this process is still new, still being worked with, it has had great results and shows future promise.

I'll post the sputtering process for those interested as soon as I figure out how to explain all the things that can impact the results.

And, for those of you that asked to buy, thank you, but this is more of a sneak peek at what's to come after the Holidays are over. Much work needs to be done in controlling the sputtering process to acheive consistent results. I've had the luxory of having several hundred Brinkmann AA reflectors to experiment on, so I've charged ahead with no fear, but need to get some control methods in place for consistency and optimizing output vs. smoothness.