Headlamps - How model can I buy?

fortimilitaribsvr

Newly Enlightened
Hi. My name is Stephan and I live in Italy. I like visit bunkers or military construction. I will buy a good headlight for my pleasure.
I see some headlamps here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm

I would use this lamp in my head, but also in my hands. I see that some time is more confortable take the lamp in hand. I see that some models have a regulation circuit for much more longer battery runtimes. This circuit REALLY works? I would a AA battery headlamp, and a 1W led. Can You help me?

Thank's for all and sorry for my bad english.. :whistle:

UWAK

Enlightened
Welcome aboard Stephan of Italy. If I were you, I will take a look closer to Princeton Tec Apex with a Lux III LED. It's nice piece to start with for your next flashlight experiences.

I'm sorry also for my bad english. My mother's tongue is the "Bahasa". Cheers!

Frids

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Stephan:)

Welcome at CPF:grin2:

Like UWAK said, the PT Apex or the Silva L1 are very good headlamps.
Both LuxIII but different brightness levels and good regulations, so much more usefull than a LuxI IMO.

Best regards

____
Tom

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf... loads of headlamps to chose from. you need to post your $$ budget.

top of the heap for LED headlamps is Stenlight, but will set you back aprox. $300...

stenlight 2.JPG

fortimilitaribsvr

Newly Enlightened
Eh eh.. I see the Stenlight.. FANTASTIC! But 300$ is much for me! :mecry:
My budget is around 100euro (150dollars.. I think!)
I see the Princeton Tec Apex.
I also see the Runtime Plot from the: www.flashlightreviews.com
1h of regulated runtime is good or not?

I also see the Petzl MYO XP.
This isn't regulated.

Mike02

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stephen - The suggestion listed are good choices - especially the Apex. Princeton Tec also makes another regulated headlmap in the Corona - 4 brightness levels with 50% power at each level plus strobe. The runtimes are excellent at lower light levels. It is AA but the LEDs are not Luxeon. It might not be so comfortable to carry inteh hand but will be less expensive than the other options.

Dennis

fortimilitaribsvr

Newly Enlightened
Myo XP isn't regulated? Right?
How many hours/minutes the battery life? With eco/normal/high?
Somebody use this lamp in hand? It's cold or hot? :)
Thank's..

dfred

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

The Myo XP does not appear to be regulated according to the runtime graph on flashlightreviews. I do not own a Myo XP, so I'm not sure about your other questions.

I do own an Apex and I really like it. The regulated runtime on 3W high with 2500mah NiMH rechargable batteries is at least 2-3 hours, and some people have reported more. The high setting is so bright on the Apex that, depending on your needs, you may actually find yourself using the lower setting or the wide-angle 5mm LEDs more often. This will significantly extend battery life, but of course the bright setting is still available when you need it. I think the heatsink is a big advantage the Apex has over the Myo XP, allowing it to run at maximum power continuously, rather than having to hold down a "boost" button for 20 seconds at a time.

As far as holding a headlamp in your hands, I'd recommend getting a second, small handheld flashlight for that purpose. And anyway, as you probably know, it is always best to have at least two (or even three) lights when you're underground or inside of dark structures.

BTW, do you have any photos of the bunkers you've explored? I assume these are old bunkers from WWII? Sounds interesting.

fortimilitaribsvr

Newly Enlightened
For DFRED: Very thank's for your reply! Now I'm really interested to buy the Apex.. :)
I would use the headlamps also in my hand, because handheld are not comfortable. Moreover I would hold the battery pack in my blue-jeans pocket. Many times it's necessary to have the free hands, so in this case use the lamp in head, otherwise in hand.
Until now I have visited military construction of 1st war. But I will visited also ww2 bunker and construction.

Visit these web site:
WW2
http://valloalpino.altervista.org/bunker/bnk-home.htm

WW1
http://www.fortificazioni.net/

dfred

Enlightened
Thanks for those links. Some of those fortifications look like very interesting places. I'll need to use Google translation when I have a little more time to look at them... Your English is much better than my Italian. :)

As far as comfort, the Apex is heavier than the Myo XP. But for its size and weight, the Apex is very well designed and has a good balance on the head.

Not sure whether they are really necessary in these fortifications, but have you considered getting a climbing/caving helmet to mount the headlamp on? It would help distribute the weight more evenly, and might prevent you from bumping your head too. :banghead: Petzl makes several nice helmets with integrated clips for the headlamp straps. (Ecrin Roc, Vertex, Elios, etc.)

snowleopard

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stephan, Very interesting photos of WW1 and WW2 bunkers. Here there are little WW2 bunkers on islands in Boston Harbor (Massachusetts) and Revolutionary War Forts (1776), but yours are more interesting.
Do you need a wide angle beam or narrow angle beam? Maybe both would be better -- Apex has both, but it might be best to have two lights in case one fails when you are inside.
--Walter

fortimilitaribsvr

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Very thank's for replys!

For DFRED: The 1st site have English/French translation! Very big site..
I don't use a climbing/caving helmet (even if it should to be used..).

For CHEAPO: I see the Favourlight 3W Led. Unfortunately it's not available in Italy. I sould be search on web. This lamp use 2X123A battery. These are more expensive than AA battery.

For GREENLED: I see the Black Diamond lamps. The Zenix IQ seems being well. (use 2AA battery) How many hours/minutes the battery life? :candle:

For SNOWLEOPARD: In Italy there are some bunkers and military construction, WW1 that WW2. Many are in bad conditions, many instead are still in good conditions!

I need wide angle beam and narrow angle beam.. even it's better have angle beam!

For all: I also see the PRIMUS Primelite headlamps: www.deutschtrans.com/rus/smp/primus_fonar_engl.pdf
www.primus.se

Somebody know this lamps?
Bye..

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

schrenz

Enlightened
I have the Primus and Petzls.

I paid only 30 € for the primelite, for this it is okay, but the Petzls are better made, for the retail price of 64€ it is to poor quality: Cheap plastic, bad cable-battery-pack-solution, and you will be blinded from the LUX Led without a piece of tape.

I prefer the little Tikka XP, bright enough, it has a diffusor and very small, so it is very comfortable to wear.
Have a look at the new Tactikka XP, it has a adapter just to clip it on the helmet or jacket.
here's a link: http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportProduits?Produit=562
For more throw take a back-up lamp with you, Surefire´6P streamlight scorpion or something like this.
Regards Jens

fortimilitaribsvr

Newly Enlightened
For TigerhawkT3: Thank's for your reply..
In a shop where I live, I find the PRIMUS lamp. I see the web site. The headlamps seem very good.
In this shop a store clerk say me that the Petzl Myo Xp are very very good!!
I'm not very sure of the battery's duration. Somebody can write personal opinion?

For shrenz: Thank's for your reply. I see also the TIKKA XP, but this use AAA battery, less power than AA battery, not?

P.S. I use NI-MH AA batteries 2400mAh - 1,2V

Last edited:

schrenz

Enlightened
If you want AAs, then take a look at the Myo XP,

I like the Tikkas/ Tactikkas, because I want light headlamps, I don't like headlamps with battery-packs and for my special purpose, when I use them in military-duty these little lights are better to assemble on my helmet or somewhere on the combat-smock.
Regards Jens