Sanguinaire

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
Dear everyone,
This is my first 'discussion' post to CPF. I'm looking for professional opinions on a flashlight mod project I thought up, entitled 'Sanguinaire'. The heart of this project would be one of the large, high-power 660nm LEDs manufactured by Roithner-Lasertechnik (Specifically, ELJ-660-225B). There's an excellent review of this piece at the LED Museum, which is where I first found out about it. The main problem I can forsee, though, is that while these have a screw base, they also have wire leads. Which brings me to my question; can an LED module with wire leads be modified to work in a flashlight?
I've never built a flashlight before in my life, so this project could be a little more challenging than I might think. But I really want to do it, and I'd love to hear some information from flashlight masters before I embark.

Best,
James

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... you don't sound too coherent. Maybe.... you can try using Luxeon star LEDs instead?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I've modded torches using wire-ended LED's since April suucessfully, but using 5mm technology.
Are you building the torch from scratch or modding an existing filament bulbed torch?
Whatever method you choose, make sure that the LED ismn't going to get too hot. With wire-ended devices, most of the heat generated in n overdriven LED is disippated via the cathode leg. Make sure that the cathode leg is connected to a substantial piece of metal (in metal torches this is often the torch's body tube.).

Chromatophile

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll probably get a 3 D cell maglight. The LED itself costs more than the flashlight, so I'm going to do many experiments with cheaper junk before I start with the main project. I'm not going to risk turning a $25 part into a melted blob of plastic. Thanks for the advice!

James