5W Luxeon red orange or yellow in 2D mag torch

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
A friend has just seen my newly acquired Elektrolumens 5W cyan blaster and was duly impressed! He duly produced a 2D mag torch and compared the rather feeble filament output to the floodlighting capability of the blaster. Shine the Elektrolumens torch at the cieling and you can read newspapers by the reflected light. Not much chance of that with the 2D filament torch!
Now he's asking me to find someone who can mod his torch with a Luxeon (seeing that his torch has an identical head to mine...)
Understanding that you need quite a lot of volts to drive Luxeon technology I think that he would need to go down the spectrum to red, orange or yellow LED colours, assuming that like thier 5mm counterparts these operate on a lower voltage than cyan...
Is it possible to mod a 2D torch to operate 5W Luxeons?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wayne j was selling 6aa holders that work great in *ag 2d's...

i don't know about 5w ro's want, but the 1w's are quite happy with 2d's, and even though it wouldn't be as bright, he would probably be quite happy with it.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 5W red luxeon would be great - if it existed, that is
grin.gif
Sorry, guys - 5W luxeons don't come in red (EDIT: No red-orange or amber either. I'd sure like to have some too, though!)
frown.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by hotfoot:
A 5W red luxeon would be great - if it existed, that is
grin.gif
Sorry, guys - 5W luxeons don't come in red (EDIT: No red-orange or amber either. I'd sure like to have some too, though!)
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does anybody know why? Will there eventually be 5 watters in these colors?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see... 5 watters are actually 2 parallel packages of 2 series 1 watters resulting in 4 1 watters.

IF red needs 2 volts... it means that 2 parallel packages of 2 series is equivalaent to 4 volts only. Unless they make it such that all 4 are in series, den you would arrive at a 8 volts 350 ma current draw 5 watter red. But I think the packaging is different. Notice that most/all 5 watters have colour LEDs that needs above 3.6 volts. RB, Cyan, Green, Blue, White. All these colours need around 3.6 - 4.0 volts. so 2 parallel packages of 2 series 1 watters would mean around 7.2 volts - 8 volts.

Different packaging...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red 1W emitter comes in batwing (LXHL-BD01), and lambertian (LXHL-PD01). The batwing red is rated at 25 lumens, and the labertian is rated at 44 lumens! So two or three would fit quite nicely into the head of a 2D cell Mag, with optics and optics holders. Three would be 132 lumens. Since they are to be run at 2.3 to 3.27 volts, two D cells should work quite nicely.

How annoying can you get!
shocked.gif
132 lumens of red light at 627nm. Maybe I should make one. Then I'll be Wayne the Annoyer!

Red is not perceived by our eyes as well as the green or cyan. Red just doesn't light things up the same.

Next time I order some LS's, I'll order a few of these red ones (assuming they are available.

Wayne

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! 44 lumens / watt. That's some good efficiency there, Wayne, you should just order 6 of em and use mini reflectors..... IT's going to cause some serious head ache to anyone who stares at it.... 264 lumens of 627nm light.... 350ma x 6 = 2.1 amps exactly... you could use some 6000mah < D cells to power this torch. Nick name? The Irritator!
grin.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered some red 1W lambertian Luxeon Stars. It'll be interesting to see a red 132 lumen flashlight.

I'd like to see how one red LS works in a two AA flashlight.

Wayne J.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
...I'd like to see how one red LS works in a two AA flashlight.

Wayne J.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whoa! With all that modding clout, you mean you've never done a red LS in a Walmart Rayovac kids headlamp mod?

I'm stunned!
grin.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
...I'd like to see how one red LS works in a two AA flashlight.

Wayne J.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whoa! With all that modding clout, you mean you've never done a red LS in a Walmart Rayovac kids headlamp mod?

I'm stunned!
grin.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
smile.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, actually I have done a few of those headlamps. I put in a buck voltage circuit I designed and built into it. I used the headlamp that was a bit bigger than the kiddie one. But I did purchase it at wally's world. It is on a web page somewhere on my site.

Wayne J.