7 days in the bush..

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Sunday we are leaving for my father in laws hunting camp for 7 days, way north in Ontario.
To get to the camp we take the quads 2 hours in, load everything onto a raft, row across a river then another hour in.. No hydro, no nothing..
I figure I can do it in three trips, 1 for clothes and food, 1 for flashlights and 1 for beer. Everything that can be charged is charging now and a bunch of primaries are ready too..
I car camp every weekend, we are no strangers to the outdoors, but this will be our (wife-pregnant, son-4, daughter-2) first real trip to desolation.. My son and I will be doing an under the stars night where we camp under the stars away from camp, with the bears..
My 8 yr old Shepard will be joining us too..
Any tips would be appreciated.. I am into camping recipes, or anything else that will make me look like I know what I'm doing..
Thanks!

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened
Just got back my camping trip up north. The mosquitoes, horse and deer flys were very bad - bring deet and protective clothing.

savumaki

Enlightened
I just got some feedback from people who were camping up north and the deerflys are VICIOUS this year; even around here they are well represented.
-fly dope (Deep woods off in liquid works well)
-long sleeve shirts and pants.
-broad brim hat -you can spray or spread fly dope on the inner brim.
-mosquito head nets wouldn't hurt.

good luck

Karl

dfred

Enlightened
Sounds like quite a memorable week in the making. Though, with small children and a pregnant wife, I'd consider your options in the event of a medical emergency. Does the camp have reliable radio contact with civilization? If so, I suppose most eventualities can probably be dealt with. Having a good first aid kit and at least one person with first aid skills on hand would still be a good idea...

And remember, you have to post some photos in this thread when you get back. :)

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bugs were my first thought as well. Because of that, I can't imagine sleeping under the stars this time of year.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a satellite phone for emergencies. :)
Getting out in a hurry is not an option, I have a well seasoned first aid kit and a tad of ability to use it.. But, nothing will go wrong.. :)
I travel with a GPS, always. Every campsite I have been at can be narrowed down within 6' with mapping software, they say it isn't the right tool, but mine has never let me down.. No emergencies, right?
I have a full screen outfit to fend off bugs, and today I stopped by the dollar store and bought 4 extra bug screens for hats.. I absolutely hate deer flies, the madden me beyond anything you can imagine. I'm ready for them.
A couple years ago, before the deet scare I bought a couple ounces of 99% deet spray, it keeps bugs back about 200' :grin2: , I hope.
Safety is covered, in it's basic form.
This week will be about starting fires, catching fish and mostly tying family knots.
Pictures are guaranteed to follow, I never leave home without a camera.
My kids see Friday as a day to strap on the Eternalights, it's habit now.. Both carry spares, Hunter has a 19 LED china light he swears by and Hailey has a hot pink modified Mini mag. My wife Carries a QIII everywhere, she's not happy about it, but she carries it.
Jeeze, QIII's, remember those..
Me, L4, E1L, 9P and Eternalight Elitemax.. God help us if the boat turns over.. :grin2:

savumaki

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
A couple years ago, before the deet scare I bought a couple ounces of 99% deet spray, it keeps bugs back about 200' :grin2: , I hope.

you will find that anything beyond 30% is overkill (remember when CTC sold the 99.9% bottles?)
I thin mine down to 30-40% with 'skin-so-soft'.

Don't forget the beans and extra oil for shore lunch.-that's if you have a shore pan, a real treat if you havn't been there.

Karl

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine at CTC, Uncle bens.. That stuff keeps bugs off you weeks after you put it on.. :)
It can be diluted? That is good to hear, if you listen close enough as you put it on you can hear you family genetics altering..

Toque = wool hat
Deet = nasty chemical for detering bugs
Bug dope = I dont know, but I do have a wild imagination

savumaki

Enlightened
rufusdufus said:
Could you please explain YANKEE talk for the following;DEET,TOQUE,FLY DOPE.
thanks

:huh: YANKEE you say, eh, A little further north please.

deet-diethyltualimide (don't shoot me for the spelling)
toque-a knitted cap for cold weather (or sleeping bag excursions)
fly dope-DEET

OK, eh?

Karl

Blazer

Enlightened
savumaki said:
:huh: YANKEE you say, eh, A little further north please.

deet-diethyltualimide (don't shoot me for the spelling)
toque-a knitted cap for cold weather (or sleeping bag excursions)
fly dope-DEET

OK, eh?

Karl

:laughing:

There's a few hosers on this site, we've gotta stick together eh?
Who's got the back bacon, and we've all got at least 3-4 toques.