Dr.'s office blackout

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

On Wed. July 26, I went to a plastic surgeon's office at the request of my dermatologist to have something cut off my back and 3 things cut off my face. I'm laying on a table in an interior room with no windows, my shirt was off buy my pants and belt were still on and the Doctor had just finished cutting the last area to be cut. The lights go completly out, the room is pitch black. No emergency lighting, nothing. I reach for my belt take out my Fenix L1 and shine it at the ceiling. It lights up the room enough for the Dr. and his assistant to see the tray they were working with and to clean and cover the area they just cut while I now hold the light towards my face. The Dr. leaves his assistant to finish bandaging me while he goes out to see what happened. He reports that some of the emergency lights are dimly shining, some light is coming in through offices with windows and the elevator is still running. I now get dressed help his assistant find the perscription pad for my anti biotics and one of the staff appears with a plastic 2 D light. I opt not to take the elevator which was still working but walked down to the exit. It was about 4:20 PM and a fairly large are of Staten Island NYC was blacked out. No traffice lights, alot of stores closed for the day and because of the recent 10 day black out in Queens response by the Mayor and all departments was swift. It turns out an overhead cable came down (don't know why) and caused the local blackout.
I hate to think what could have happened to my manly face if I didn't carry that light. When I go back to get the stitches out I'll bring along one of those emergency lights that plug into a wall socket for that room. Bye for now.

dfred

Enlightened
A good story for a good first post!

You should have gotten a discount for assisting with the procedure. :)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel your back and face pain. That must have been something. Did they cut, freeze, or both?

I would actually recommend a 2C (or D) Mag with the Nite-Ize LED. Another CPFer experienced a blackout and the place he was at the time had those rechargeable ones. However, they hadn't used them for five or six years, so the batts were dead. :ohgeez:

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
For TigerhawkT3,

HI,

They gave me a local in each area then cut the items out.

I also read that post, my feeling is that the next time a blackout happens he maybe involved like he was with me at the time. The light I'm talking about goes on automatically when a power failure happens. It may not be much light but it will be much better than pitch black. I'll also suggest to him to have some kind of emergeny lighting installed in that room.

Bye for now.