Inova T2 or HDS 42XR?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I admit I have a "problem":sssh: Although I've been fortunate enough to snap up many of the lights mentioned here (ARC, Nuwai, Surefire, Peak, Fenix, Streamlight, Inova, and now ORB!!) I have been contemplating the T2 and recently have become fascinated with the basic HDS 42XR on sale. I like the Inova's design and optics. (I got a good deal on my T1 from Gary at Elite LED and made a new friend in the process). My T4 arrived last week. I've been carrying it and I like it. I guess I've gotten spoiled since I was weaned off my 4D mag 10 years ago because it's taking me a while to get used to its size. the T4 is about twice the size of my A2 which rides along side my 5 watt Nuwai next to the CR123 Green Laser and the new T4 on my belt.

The T2 is about $30 less than the HDS on sale for $99. Obviously I need to get both.

In the meantime, does anyone have any info as to which one should arrive first?, the HDS 42 lumen model w/ extended run time or the 40 lumen T2?

Jasmes

Enlightened
tsask said:
or the 40 lumen T2?

Just wanted to remind you that if Inova says it's 40 lumens, it isn't. According to FLR it should be more ~25 lumens.

lukus

Enlightened
Just wanted to remind you that if Inova says it's 40 lumens, it isn't. According to FLR it should be more ~25 lumens.Today 09:05 PM

And on that note, the HDS will be a minimum of 42 lumens. Some have reported them higher.

Jasmes

Enlightened
lukus said:
And on that note, the HDS will be a minimum of 42 lumens. Some have reported them higher.

Again it comes down to the usual "Inova's great build quality+design vs. Another Brand's lumen-per-dollar" argument.

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
Just my 2 cents:

I have an Inova T3 and an HDS U60XRGT. Inova claims 85 lumens, while the T3 actually puts out about half of that. The tint is kind of green, too, while the HDS is as white as a snowfield on a clear, sunny day. Buying a GT model may have been a frill: I've never heard of a complaint about the tint of HDS' non-GT lights. Both lights have almost exactly the same throw, but the T3 has tunnel vision by comparison to the HDS. Both lights show excellent, quality construction.

If Inova had used a better-binned Lux III, I would have paid the extra $$ in a heartbeat. More lumens and better tint would have made it a superb thrower for outdoor work, well worth the extra size and weight over the HDS.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Inova T3 and a HDS B42XRGT. I really like my Inova its built Very Very Well. My HDS is my EDC and by comparing them both the T3 Has a much wider hotspot and has *much* more throw. For the size and brightness the HDS is the winner. A wall bounce test determined the HDS to be the winner, also the HDS has a Very good Spillbeam.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I greatly appreciate the replies. The "inflated" Inova numbers make the HDS look real good. It would appear that the HDS out performs the T2. Asthetically I really like the T2. The HDS is an attractive well built light as well.
This new info has influenced /changed my decision. It looks like I'm going to try to get in on that HDS sale!:sold:

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Two things if u like to mod and have minimal skills. Get a B42 for $90 . Search for cpfer photonfanatic and buy a SXOH and replace the emmitter to get brighter output with the same original runtime.

GregWormald

Enlightened
When the current 42's are gone (and $90 is a considerable discount) there will be no more. The same model in a 60 is $160.
I love the feel of the Inova's--the silver surface is great. My 42 goes everywhere with me.
Greg

lukus

Enlightened
While the HDS is my current favorite light and one I EDC most days, aaaannd it is built like a small tank, I don't think I would go so far as to call it "attractive".:grin2:

SCblur

Enlightened
lukus said:
While the HDS is my current favorite light and one I EDC most days, aaaannd it is built like a small tank, I don't think I would go so far as to call it "attractive".:grin2:

I happen to love the look of my B42. Six of one, half-a-dozen of another I guess.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have since upgraded my order to the XR GT!!!:rock:

A $160 light on sale for $99!

I still may try to pick up an T2 on ebay for less than $50 shipped.

Hey it's like I'm getting the Inova for free AND getting paid $10 for owning it!!

WOW what logic! "Flashaholism", first un noticed, then occasional mention by family and friends etc etc :lolsign:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS is listed here at CPF. they have links to distributors.

For the T2, check out ebay.