Automobile LEDs: "Puddle Lights"

silbergrau

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! I am new here and I need some advice. :) I was wondering what kinda wattage/brightness the door handle LEDs are. They are known as puddle lights. You know, the stuff on some new cars (particularly in Mercedes, BMW) that lights up under the door handle when you remote unlock the car. I believe some SUVs have them under their side view mirrors as well. Also, who would be a good vendor to get these chips?

Any opinions would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

not2bright

Enlightened
We can't afford BMW or Mercedes since we spend all of our $$$ on lights. :broke:

Seriously, I have no idea. The puddle lights I have experience with have all been incan. That said, many of the people that have the same model car (TL) I have changed out the lights to LED to match the factory LED dash instrumentation lighting.

They seems to favor purchasing from superbrightleds.com.

Good luck!

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to work at a tire store for 3 weeks. Cars with exterios lighting were all incand. I did see a lexuis that seemed to have led dashboard illumination.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend has a 2006 BMW with LED "puddle lights". They are bluish white, so no doubt some type of 5mm LED.

Bogie

Enlightened
LED Rock Lights I have a set of these wating to be installed in my truck. If you do a search you may find other manafactures I know ther are just can think of who right now

Edited to add I found one in my favorites that uses a 1 watt emmiter in choice of colors with a AL mount
Round Eyes Lighting These have been reviewed in one of the 4x4 mags and on extreme 4x4 tv with good results

Last edited:

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Hi, What is puddle lights?
Regarding "normal" front lights that is NOT legal in EU yet (will be in 2007), but there are a lot of Cars that has break lights (tail lights) with LEDs right now.

Regarding dash board lights, most car manufacturers are using LEDs and most of the truck manufacturers does to (but not all of them).