Tektite LPR-2 vs. TerraLUX TLE-20

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I'm new the forum and looking for some advice. I got an old 2C cell military light with a fixed reflector housing that uses a basic PR Krypton bulb and I'd like to replace the old bulb with an LED. I don't want to spend more money than the cost of a new flashlight however.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Tektite LPR-2 and the TerraLUX TLE-20, sense it looks like these are the only LED's in my price range that will fit into this particular light. I can't find a whole lot of information on the Tektite, and supposedly the TerraLUX is rated at 20-25 lumens.

Does anyone know how the two compare? Particularly which is brighter and provides better output in fixed reflector housings? I'd appreciate any recommendations you have. Thanks a lot.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

Neither the LPR2 or TLE20 has a good beam pattern especially with fixed focus reflectors.
The LPR2 has a hotspot, dark donut around it, then a bright ring round the dark area. Not a useful beam.
The TLE20 has a blue white hotspot with a strong yellow corona. Not easy on the eyes. Also mine got caught on the reflector of a 2 in 1 torch which pulled the LED module from the base. Worse the pins in the back of the module got bent.
I ended up using diffusers on both. Textured plastic on the TLE20, satin Scotch tape on the LPR2. That reduces throw dramatically making them useful only out to 5 feet 10 max.

I suggest getting the SMJLED PR. Focus really well in all kinds of reflectors. The hotspot is as bright as either of the other 2 LEDs. (The LPR2 has slightly more total output) Also half the price of the othe others.
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/mag_flashlight_accessories.htm
Lambda had a sale on them but he's sold out.

Last edited:

leduk

Enlightened
Hello MMG,

TLE-20 is a good drop in. I have a couple and they're fine.

For half the price you'd be better getting a SMJLED PR2 bulb.
I've bought lots of these from the US. All arrived in good condition and surprisingly fast.

The TLE-20 is not as bright as its brother the TLE-5 which is supposidly a 1W bulb.

Visually I'd rate the TLE-20 comparably bright to the SMJ PR2. The PR2 gives a sweeter hotspot in the right reflector. TLE-20 will be smoother with more flood.

My vote goes with the PR2. Unfortunately not what you were asking.
You can get them here from lambda. Trueblue sells them here also.

Cheers