Cool Drifting in Tokyo -Video

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please dont post links with no explanation or info like that. First of all you look like spam, and people just want to know where they are going when they click.

This video is OK for family consumption though, as long as you're not emotionally attached to your tire treads...

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. The new (to the U.S.) motorsport of drifting came here when I was in the import high-performance automotive industry. At all the drifting events almost all the sponsors were tire companies. They'd bring 18-wheelers completely stocked with a full line of tires with mounting and balancing equipment. They'd replace the competitor's tires right there on the spot.

One of the guys in my office was a nationally ranked drifter, he drove a Nissan 240SX with a 2.0L turbocharged engine from the Japanese version of that car (called the 200SX as it had a 2.0L instead of the low-tech 2.4L we have here). I've been in his car when he did fishtailing U-turns on city streets right in front of cops, they'd pull him over and then not know what to cite him for!! Oh I'm sure they could have figured something out; display of speed, reckless driving, etc., but he never got nailed for more than equipment violations.

I've been to several racing schools and have tried drifting my wife's Miata at Buttonwillow, and it's a LOT harder than it looks!!

Drifting has been getting a lot more attention by the media than the more classical versions of motor sports, but through the many polls my old company conducted, drifting was one of the bottom-rated sports by enthusiasts. Believe it or not, the top #1 things the "kids" looked forward to were car shows followed by drag racing, then circuit racing, then drifting. Huh!!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think drifting is really cool. It looks like a lot of fun. The guys in the video look like they could use a little practice exiting the turn, though!

roguesw

Enlightened
i am a fan of drifting and used to drift at the track, at a supervised track day

what these guys are doing on the public road are dangerous and reckless and a danger not only to themselves but to pedestrians and other cars

these guys give drifting enthusiasts a bad name and call unneccesary attention from the police to the point where the police will now try to reduce the number of track days available (in New Zealand where i used to live)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
These guys are somewhat akin to the motorcyclists you see these days doing wheelie tricks on the street everywhere. All that stuff you see in the "Biker Boyz" movies is down right here on the city streets in my town. Guys drive right down the main street, which is full of cars (all day long, basically) doing their wheelie tricks. I've seen guys stand on the rear of the bike while doing a wheelie, stradle the tank with their legs in front of the bike (while doing a wheelie), and come to a stop on their front tire. It's fun to watch, but dangerous. The only time I ever felt a little angry, though, was when a guy on the freeway was doing a wheelie (man, those bikes have CRAZY power). Oh, nope, that's not the only time...there was another time when a guy on the freeway was laying down flat on his bike (facing forward) and his feet were hanging over his brake light. On the street, they're usually accellerating ahead of the cars, so if they get hurt, it's only them. On the freeway, though, I actually start to worry that they're going to "eat it" because then hey're going to pull the whole freeway into an accident.