Opalec in Rayovac headlamp and Brinkman Legend

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was taking the Opalec out of my minimag and the plastic legs broke off and stayed in the mag. I hear Opalec has had this happen before and they have good customer service and will replace, but I figured what the hey, this will allow me to try some other configurations out.

First I put it in a Brinkmann with clicky tail switch. The opalec and "pusher" fit fine but when you tighten down the head stop tightening as soon as the pusher makes contact or it will twist the opalec unit and therefore the wires underneath. You might want to then tape or glue the head in place so it wont get accidentaly tightend.

After straiting the wires I put it in a Rayovac adventure Kids lamp. I had to grind off the ring where the bulb goes in but then you just push it in like a regular bulb. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right on the first try so needless to say it only took me three tries.

I then put some hot glue to hold it in place a little firmer. Probably not neccessary. I also enlarged the hole on the reflector. The reflector adds more light but in the form of funky swirls and botches. I might just leave it out.

Anyhow I think I'll just use it like this for now. I have another opelec in a mag anyway.
I think you could easily fit two oplecs in this one unit but I didn't do any wiring or want to put $50 worth of parts in a $5 light
wink.gif

Tip: You might want to lube your opalec legs before you insert into the mag.

opalechdlamp.jpg
opalechdlamp2.jpg

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool mod ! However, an LS/o costs less and is much brighter than the Opalec...

Also, an LS/o will mount in the head of this light using the two existing screws, providing that you deepen the screw slots on the LS/o's heatsink with a couple passes using a round file.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
True, but...

1) It's not regulated as the Opalec is.

2) Runtime is short, requiring frequent battery changes...a real pain in the @$$ when you're 100 meters below the surface.

If sheer brightness is you're goal, the Luxeon works great, but if extended runtime is your goal, the Opalec stands uncontested.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Plinko:
2) Runtime is short, requiring frequent battery changes...a real pain in the @$$ when you're 100 meters below the surface.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Depends on what your idea of "short" is... I get about 30 hours out of lithium AA's - which is pretty much the same runtime curve as what has been published for the CMG Reactor.

I don't have any info on how long the Opalec runs on lithiums, but my general feeling is that boost circuits consume current that could be converted to light instead.

My intent is not to "dis" this mod, because I realize that it was done due to specific circumstances. However, I DON'T think this is a mod that you would actually go out and buy parts to build..

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Interesting way to ressurect a Newbeam module!
icon14.gif
Kind of like a regulated Aurora with a lot more runtime, I imagine.

About LS vs. this module. I don't have a newbeam but I'm thouroughly familiar with Aurora/Attitude, and it depends on what you want. I find personally that for trekking through the woods, a SE gives great throw and keeps me off my long range torch. For up close work (eating at a table, setting up, etc.) I prefer the wide smooth beam of 3 LEDs.
smile.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually my first mod was the LS as described in the second post and frankly I like this mod better. The strait run LS on alkalines is only brighter for the first two hours then it just gets dimmer and dimmer. I hate to use expensive Lithiums and I like to use rechargables. The LS is useless on rechargables.
The opalec actually makes better use of the batteries. i measured the voltage under load of an LS that had been running for quite some time it was less that half as bright as a regular infinity. Guess what the batteries read 2.6 v combined. These batteries had given up the ghost hours before in the LS. But I popped then in the Opalec and BAM! Fresh bright light for a couple more hours.

It kind of depends how you use it. I have tried using the LS for a week long camping trip but because of the Decay curve it was very bright the first night Ok the second night and needed new batteries by the third night. The Opalec on the other hand will give the same output all week. Also the beam on the Opalec is wider. Which is useful for many tasks.

Lots of people on this forum think the LS is some kind of magical light emiting device. But hey there are only so many mAh in a battery and you just can't have high brightness and long runtimes at the same time. The area under the curve on those runtime charts will always be the same for 2AA batteries. (well not quite, but in reality your sometimes comparing apples and oranges)

I like my lumens flat and predictable thank you.
I like to use rechargables
I don't like to change batteries
I like to use as little light as possible to acomplish a task so as not to destroy my night vision.
I actually use my lights for camping, caving, and hiking in dark places.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CaveDave,

I'm glad you posted this in the Mod Database thread! I missed it the first time around. Nice job! I too think the Opalec is an elegant light source and your mod certainly does it justice!
icon14.gif

Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

- Don