how do I tell that the U2 at the shop is the latest hardware from SureFire?

Miracle

Enlightened
Can some kind souls please tell me

how can i tell if the SureFire U2 at the shop is of the latest batch from SureFire factory?

i think i will get a U2 in the next few days

r there any pix here of the latest version U2?

:huh2:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can look at the sides of the body. If there are three rounded sections without knurling, then it might be one of the newer bodies. The older ones had flat sides.

Try to stuff an 18650 lithium ion cell into it. If it fits, you're holding old stock. :lol: If the 18650 won't fit, but there's a black plastic sleeve inside the tube, it isn't the most recent generation.

Does it matter whether it's new stock or old? I think in some ways, the old ones were better. It's probably more important to turn it on, and see if you like the tint and the donut. I wouldn't worry whether it's from the latest batch or not.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the latest it will have the narrow body tube; not room for a 18650 so less than 18mm inside diameter. Most people here would prefer the older version with a removable plastic insert or wider tube to allow use of cheap very high performance 18650 rechargeable Li-ions. These cells are inserted from the head end of the tube.

The tailcap will have 4 tabs on the inside, older generations will have 3 or 4.

I think the new clip is polished and more shiny than the older ones.

Somebody else will probably chime in with more.

PS! If you can handle the light and they have more than one ask to try them all and buy the one with the best tint and beam.

Enjoy!

Sverre

Miracle

Enlightened
I was hoping 2 get the latest hardware version

as logically it would have all the issues 'fixxed'

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Miracle said:
hi NoFair,

what color is the plastic insert?

I seem to remeber it being black, but I have an older one that doesn't have one.
The colour inside is golden metal if there isn't an insert, should be easy to tell the difference between plastic and metal in the tube.

I think the only thing that has changed is the tube narrowing and the tailcap being improved. BUT most people want the wider tube and if your tailcap stops working SF will send you a new one for free (don't even have to return the old one!)

IMHO try to get one with the wide tube and buy 2 18650s and a DSD charger from Lighthound or AW and enjoy guildt free lumens from the best mid sized light around!

Sverre

Anders

Enlightened
Yes, My insert was black as well and very easy to remove:)

The older version is better cause the possiblility to use it with 18650 is greate.

Anders

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the resell market, the older ones with removable insert will be worth more. As long as it works of course. Something to consider.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Miracle said:
hi Ty_Bower,

what is 'knerling'?

Knurling is the slip resistant machining on the body of a light to make it look nice and to make it easier to hang on to.:)

Miracle

Enlightened
Thankz for all the info kind souls!

:grin2:

the SureFire retailer here in Singapore said that their U2 are of the latest batch.

With this info, I take it their U2 should be the one with the smaller bodies...

:grin2:

Miracle

Enlightened
can some kind souls please see below picture

u2-pic.jpg

New U2
E1E-BK (It arrived today, it snuck into the picture...)
Old U2

Quote taken from the below thread about the above pix : "The new U2 body is "three sided" - same as the newest E1E body
Sorry the picture isn't clearer."

Can some kind souls tell me what is the difference between the new U2 and the old U2 body? I really cannot see it.

"three sided"?

All I can see is that both the U2's center body is rounded and keneled with a flat surface intervals.

it was taken from this thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99132

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those almost look like "new" bodied U2 lights to me. It's a little tough to tell from just the one angle.

The old U2 body had four "flat surface intervals", if I recall correctly. The newer U2 has only three, and they are slightly rounded.

All of the old bodies should take 18650 cells. The new body style may or may not, depending on whether it has the insert, or whether it's the most recent batch of the new style. I guess I'm saying there's actually three variations of the new style body.

Miracle

Enlightened
it was unclear in my previous thread regarding the 'latest' batch of U2s accepting 17670

has any kind souls use successfully the 17670 rechargables with the 'latest (smaller body) U2?

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
If you look at the top picture and the bottom picture, you can plainly see that the older version is in fact wider. Examine the central section where the writing is.

I see no problem of the newest version accepting 17670 rechargeables.
I have the newest version and although disappointed about not accepting 18650's . This is a great light. You won't regret it.
:rock:

Miracle

Enlightened
DownUnderLite said:
I see no problem of the newest version accepting 17670 rechargeables.

hello sir,

have you use the 17670 rechargables 'successfully' with the 'newest' smaller bodied U2?

Latest posts