What light for extreme temperature storage?

I'm thinking about leaving a Brinkmann Maxfire LX in my car, where storage temperature can hit 70°C sometimes.

Does CR123A hold up well in that kind of storage?
Should I worry about venting with flame and burning down my car?

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
I think 123s are good up to 100 degrees (C), but don't hold me to that.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
70ºC can damage many solid state electronic items even when they are not being used. I is also outside of the operating temperature range of the CR123 batteries which are generally rated for a -40º to 60ºC range.

Though a flashlight in a vehicle on a hot day shouldn't be a problem as vehicle internal temperatures generally only get to about 140ºF even in 120º weather in places like Arizona. Places like the dash surface may, however, get up as high as 160º (71ºC) if they are in the sun on one of those 120º days.

So there shouldn't be any risk to you as it is unlikely to encounter such temperatures in Eugene.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
to follow on the original question - are Lithium AAs any more susceptible to heat damage than alkys?

I have 4AA lights in each of my vehicles (glovebox) with lithiums so that a winter emergency can be illuminated. But am I doing them in any more than alkys by subjecting them to summer heat?

John

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is always best to store the batteries outside the light. In a couple ziplocks to contain the mess if they leak and so they don't short against something.

Having said that I keep them in the light for quick access. What can I say, I'm a risktaker.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a post a couple years back that recommends flashlights be stored in a box under the front PASSENGER seat. That is usually the coolest place in the car. Do NOT store under the DRIVER's seat as the box might slide forward and prevent the brake pedal from working properly.

cave dave said:
It is always best to store the batteries outside the light. In a couple ziplocks to contain the mess if they leak and so they don't short against something.

Having said that I keep them in the light for quick access. What can I say, I'm a risktaker.

It's a Brinkmann Maxfire LX. Not a big loss if the light gets screwed.

g36pilot

Enlightened
CR123 Battery "Facts" As Currently Known

• -40C to 60C (-40F to 140F) rated storage & operating temp range
  • 80C/176F Organic solvent gases internally
  • 140C/285F Battery pressure vent opens, electrolyte gas discharge
  • 355F Exposed Li auto ignites (ruptured batt near heat source)
  • 524F (average temp) Undamaged CR123 auto ignites. A single CR123 ignition will ignite the rest of a bulk packaged unit
  • 1375F Li fire peak temp
Poorly manufactured batteries may differ from the above.

Not an expert, just exposed to a lot via CPF.

Last edited: