Which Surefire for EMS work?

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a new flashlight to replace my LED Lenser for work as a Paramedic. I was at a call last night that really needed more flashlight then I had in my hands at the time. I just bought a SF G2 as a general use type of flashlight for around the house...

Calls are generally in the city. Most flashlight usage is indoors, although we sometimes need to go into the country in search of someone. I am looking for a Surefire flashlight that would meet my needs and requirements for my type of work. Was thinking of either L1, E2D, L2, or A2...

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
I think the E2D is overkill for your use, more likely to snag it on things. I'd personally go with either a L4 w/ a 2stage kit, or an L2. The low will work good inside, and you'll still have high when you need it to search. Alternetly an A2 might fit your bill.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recomend the "wall of light". That would be one with the L4 type beam. Not sure if the L2 would give you that. Maybe the L4 with a aftermarket 2 stage tail switch, as there will be many times you want a lower power level.

And Welcome! Get some info and get out of here fast. That or ask your boss for a nice raise...LOL

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the A2. the A2 White low uses 5mm LEDs that are great for floody beam for close up work, such as a quick first aid, where the light is just enough to be usefull but not blinding. and the regulated incandescent will be perfect for using in outdoors searching for someone. in ourdoors situations that incan will be vastly superior to shorter throwing LEDs with better color rendition.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first recommendation that popped into my mind was the Surefire L4. Big floody beam. Great indoors. You can use a Pila 600s or AW 17670 rechargable battery which is a valuable option for 1st responders who use the light alot. However it does lack a low power setting.

The A2's high beam and throw will be much like your G2. The low has 3 LEDs and is good for very close up work and reading. Long runtime. The incandescent bulb really helps with color identification.

If your old LED Lensor's beam color did not bother you then an L2 would also be a very good choice. The L2 is really like a two level L4. You can use rechargables in it too.

Last edited:

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
Last night we had a call to a house where all the doors we locked, no lights anywhere around. My flashlight was 'OK' around outside, but nothing special. We had police break the window out of the door and entered the house. Inside, my light was a little better and had a decent amount of flood, but still nothing special. We seached the whole house and finally found the lady face down on the floor barely conscious. My light was a bit too bright for checking pupils (I need to find a good penlight too) but it worked 'OK'. It did have the perfect amount of light for close up treatment though.

I was already in the market for a new flashlight but after last night I think it is now time to ditch my light.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdbuckle said:
My light was a bit too bright for checking pupils (I need to find a good penlight too) but it worked 'OK'. It did have the perfect amount of light for close up treatment though.

How about an L1 with an F04 beamshaper. It has a good low-level, maybe low enough for pupil check, but high is there for other tasks. Plus, if you need some throw, take off the beamshaper and there ya go! Other plusses are the fact that it runs off only one cell and has good runtime. Of course, the L2 would be nice as well; it runs forever (I think about 18 hours) in first stage which is still 15 lumens!

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I also do EMS, so maybe my experience may help you make a decision.

I carry an L4 with the 2-stage McE2S tailcap in my holster. I've found this to be adequate for 99% of my needs. For backup, I carry an A2. This may be overkill (and fairly expensive), but I feel with that combination I have everything covered. Your G2 would also work as a nice backup, at substantially less cost than the A2.

The L4 on low is nice for close-up treatment, and won't completely destroy night vision. On high, it is the proverbial "wall of light" that will do a great job of lighting up the scene.

I run the L4 on Pila 168S cells, and always start out with three fully-charged cells. One is in the L4 and two are in orange waterproof match containers with foam added to the bottom to prevent rattling. These are small enough to slip into a pocket if I'm going to be on foot for any extended period of time. I run the A2 on Surefire primary cells, and carry four spares plus a spare lamp assembly in a Surefire spares container.

For a penlight, I carry a UK 2AAA Penlight S (this is the one with the clicky switch). This is a very nice semi-regulated penlight that runs very well on rechargable NiMH AAA cells. For a backup, I have a Streamlight Stylus. The UK is much easier to clean and is waterproof (and bodily fluid proof!) and is also rated for hazardous locations. You can't go wrong with this light.

I hope this helps!

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
mdbuckle
Wouldn't a headlamp be especially useful in your situation? ... hands free to palpate/work on the victim.

I have used a PrincetonTec Apex for more than a year, both in US and abroad [Rwanda medical mission]. Easily switches between bright spot and flood LEDs, and between Hi and Low for each type of illumination. Seems to be a great lamp; the regulation and burn time are terrific. Can use Lithium AAs so that it is full power in cold weather.

Good luck, John

a99raptors

Enlightened
I am in the medical field myself and I personally have used the L4, L2 and A2 in the ER with great success, much better than the big 2D lights the other docs use. I notice that the incandescent lamps don't fare as well as an LED when distinguishing blood. The low beam of the A2 is better than the high beam, as I once used it to find the source of head injury on the patient's skull. Since you described outdoor use as well, go with the A2. Bright enough to find your patient, yet dim enough for direct reflexes. Can't really go wrong with this light.

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
I think the L4 with a two stage switch is the way to go. Is it possible to fit a strike bezel on to the front of it? How shock proof is it?

Just a question though...what is the flood like on an A2?

a99raptors

Enlightened
The flood on the A2 is very useful. Although it has a bluish tint in the White LEDs, it is barely noticeable in open spaces. Plus, the bluish tint actually helps in distinguishing blood.

The strike bezel on the L4 is possible. I think you can get a third party addition to the E series bezel. Also, you can replace the strike bezel from the E2d onto the L4.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 is definitely the way to go. Working an MVA at night with the L4 flooding the interior of the vehicle with light greatly helps with PT assessment as well as personnel safety. With traumas outside, I can clip the L4 to my hat visor (if I am wearing one) or hold it under my armpit leaving both my hands free. With the rechargables, you're set with a lot of light for little $$. I have honestly never had the need for a lower output from it. I would suggest getting the L4 first, use it in the field and then see if you need the tailcap. As for the penlight, I just stick with the $.50 disposables. They come in contact with blood, bodliy fluids, and germs, it's best to just toss them every so often.

VWTim

Enlightened
For a penlight what about getting a bunch of Streamlight Stylus's from Radio Shack. If any stores still have them in stock they're on sale for like $5, excellent lights.

VWTim

Enlightened
Not sure about the Canada part, but OpticsHQ was the best I found when I was pricing them a while ago. They offer CPF disc's.

carrot

Flashaholic
Since the two-stage switch is getting increasingly hard to find, I recommend the Surefire L2. It is two-stage out of the box, and very similar to the L4 in output. It has a brighter output than the L4 on high and a usable low.