Bought house, need ideas on many things.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. just got the word my offer was accepted. Very large two story built sometime prior to 1900. Huge basement with lots of workshop area. No ceiling lights, only switched outlets on walls. As I have three table lamps a plethora of ideas are springing to mind. Lots of indirect low voltage lighting and compact flourescents of course.

The big decision is the furnace. It has been reported that it kept cycling off that could be the thermostat or the ignition circuit (gas). Furnace looks good to my casual eye. I am wondering about installing a pellet furnace. I have done a little research on these and know some of what to look for. Or are there other alternatives to examine.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
yay!

I've decided my favorite lighting for a room is a large paper ball (like the collapsable Chinese bamboo kind) suspended from the ceiling, with the light source inside of course. I feel it gives the nicest diffuse room-filling kind of one point-source light..(I may even get around to actually doing this some day soon in my liitle house..)

pellet furnace? you could get a lot of free fuel around here there's so many rabbits and deer..

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
"pellet furnace? you could get a lot of free fuel around here there's so many rabbits and deer.."

I think it is some other kind of pellet. :green: plus it is in town and the deer would have a difficult time with delivery. :crackup:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Front Gate—

Congratulations on your acquisition! As they say with being a homeowner—"It never ends around here."

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pellidon said:
Yep. just got the word my offer was accepted. Very large two story built sometime prior to 1900. Huge basement with lots of workshop area.
Excellent. Sounds like a wonderful home.

I was watching Norm Abram on a "This Old House" re-run a couple of weeks ago. The high tech HVAC systems these guys were installing in a very old house were amazing.

Environmental controls for your new digs is a subject I can offer little help on but I would like to follow what you do with your "New Old House".

Congratulations.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've installed 2 "pellet" furnaces in the past, though not recently. It's a good idea, especially if you have access to cheap fuel. However, unlike other types of furnaces, it's not a "set it and forget it" type furnace. You have to "feed" it and in some models remove anything left over in combustion.

A great alternative is a geothermal heating/cooling system. Last winter, the company I work for put in more geo's than natural gas furnaces. They are ridiculously efficient. Check the web or a local contractor for more info!