Variable module any good?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I'm not sure, but I was looking at it. I only have a 1mW red, and that looks like a nice, simple, and cheap one, that can be somewhat powerful. I have to wait until next paycheck though... :grin2:

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Is that a good price? It seems kind of cool to be able to just plug it in, and adjust the power output....

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I think it's an OK price. I would like it more if it were 632nm (splitting hairs). It is only a diode module. Nothing fancy. A laser pointer with a little more juice. The variable output is definatly a plus. I've got it on my list of things to buy next payday... Nice and compact too! :grin2: A comperable hene is atleast $100+.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Aiki1 said:
How much brighter do you think a 10mw is than a 5mw at 650nm?

I was gonna be an *** and say twice, which it still is, but we don't see it as twice as bright. :grin2: I was told the human eye doesn't double light like we would think, but I am not sure. I think it is close to 1/3 brighter. I was asking about my 100mW green and my 10+mW (10 to 20mW) blue. He quoted some math but I didn't catch it... He said that at 20mW, the 100mW green is 5 times (20*5=100) as bright, but we will see it as around 2.5 to 3 times as bright... And then you have to think about how well both lasers are focused and this and that...

Most 5mW pointers are rated at <5mW, meaning they could be 4.99 or 2, both are less than 5. I have been hopeing to find a 25 to 40mW red for a little while, but all the ones I find are close to $100 or more. My 100mW green was $190+ with shipping. I had figured I could find a 100mW red for... I dunno, half that... but no... This is the best price I have seem for a red module. there is a 20mW hene for $119 with ps, but $65 for even a 30mW is good enough for me. :sold: (well next payday!) :lolsign: If you get one sooner make a thread, I would like to see some pics... :popcorn:

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about it, thinking, definitely.... :rant:

I also found what looks like a nice green module at around 5mw for $49, might get that and a small power source and go that route for fun....

green module....

Last edited:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
I just purchased it, so we'll soon know if it's any good or not. :)

:bow: I wanna be like you if/when I grow up!!! :bow: Anytime I see something I may want to buy I will swing it by you first... Either you will already have one, hopefully with an opinion, or you will go out and buy it, and hopefully form an opinion before I buy it... :grin2:

Aiki1 said:
I'm thinking about it, thinking, definitely.... :rant:

I also found what looks like a nice green module at around 5mw for $49, might get that and a small power source and go that route for fun....

green module....

The 100mW Green Dpss module I got only cost me around $200 shipped. It looks to be a much better buy than that one. IMO...

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Aiki1 said:
I want one of those but people keep bidding them up too high for me on eBay - if they'd stay at $200 shipped I might be able to swing it....

I got lucky with mine. It ended at a wierd time, and no one had pushed it up like they usually do. I have seen a few go for less than mine. Another member called the place and got a similar one, here is his post in a thread about my module. There is also a 30mW module w/PS for $125 or a 100mW for $255 from the same seller as the variable red. I hate to say it but I have not found any cheaper prices than what I find on eBay.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'm anxious to see how you guys like this variable module.... I ended up ordering some other stuff from the same guy in the meantime.... a power supply and a few simple modules, three reds and a green, to try my hand at making my own light show....

ted_park

Newly Enlightened
I bought stuff from them on eBay, and it was shipped promptly and worked as described. 10mw 635nm module - still working well. 100mw 532nm module also working well. I bought some smaller items out of curiosity, and they all worked when powered up, but I haven't done anything with the modules in the interim.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered one of the variable power red modules tonight, what the heck.... hope they're good....

:laughing:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Aiki1 said:
Well I ordered one of the variable power red modules tonight, what the heck.... hope they're good....

:laughing:

I got mine yesterday, I think they forgot to ship it to me. I have to email twice... Paid on 08/01 and it was shipped on 08/08. :awman: But it arrived, and they answered my emails promptly. When I left feedback I noticed that you left... a little... feedback yourself. What'd you get 6 modules? :lolsign: Where are you pictures?

Latest posts