Surefire A2 Lockout problem

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dudes,

I've been having a problem with my lock out tailcap on my A2. When I put it in lock out mode and push the button, the LED's come on. I've owned my A2 for 2+ years with no problems until 2-3 months ago, guess it comes with age (or something). I do recall a lot of posts regarding SF tailcaps, I'll be sure to look back on them to get some more info.

On the bezel end I have a tough problem. It seems water somehow seeped into the bezel and onto the LED'S!:awman: I first noticed this when I looked into the business end of the light and noticed condensation on the lens. Assuming it was on the outside I wiped it, and to my horror it was on the inside! I quickly unscrewed the bezel and took out the lamp assembly, only to find the LED structure (the green ring) had expanded/bloated. I noticed a strange powder present on the hole where the lamp assembly goes through.

I want to say I'm P.O.ed about all this, but I'm more disappointed than anything.:mecry: Oh well.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me in this area, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

the Duderino

marxs

Enlightened
regarding the LOTC, maybe you havent twisted it yet fully? from what i know you twist the tailcap 360 degrees counter-clockswise to lockout the high beam (e.g. if you depress the button only the LEDs will go on), if you want to totally lockout usage you twist it again another 360 degrees counter clockwise (almost like taking off the tailcap), if you try depressing the button again nothing should come on. if you want constant on for the LEDs you twist the tailcap clockwise until they go on, a little bit more counterclockwise to lock the high beam on.

as for the bezel, im not sure how water could have seeped in (maybe it wasnt screwed on tight?) but the powder in the middle of the incan is part of the lamp assembly; its actually right under the lamp itself housed under the hat-like contact (must have been some kind of heat buffer or something).

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Marxs,

Thanks for the reply.=) Yeah I completely lock it out (to the point where I can see the O-ring) and the LED's still come on. Maybe it needs some cleaning? Would you happen to know how to take the tailcap assembly apart? If you do you're a lifesaver (or a flashsaver, lol).

The bezel is always screwed on tight so I know that's not the issue. However I did manage to drop it a few times in its lifetime (who doesn't) and as a result there are dings on the bezel next to the lens. I would bet a million dollars there is an o-ring between the lens and bezel, and the dings altered its ability to keep water out, no longer retainining its conformity with each other. But this is all an educated guess.=)

Any advice would still be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dude

Last edited:

marxs

Enlightened
sounds like the threads may need cleaning or the springs will have to be checked. hmm i dont really have a manual on dissecting, but you might like to take a look at these two threads on the a2

stuff on a2 threads
the SF a2 - has some pics, maybe you can get an idea

marxs

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
dudemar said:
On the bezel end I have a tough problem. It seems water somehow seeped into the bezel and onto the LED'S!:awman: I first noticed this when I looked into the business end of the light and noticed condensation on the lens. Assuming it was on the outside I wiped it, and to my horror it was on the inside! I quickly unscrewed the bezel and took out the lamp assembly, only to find the LED structure (the green ring) had expanded/bloated. I noticed a strange powder present on the hole where the lamp assembly goes through.

This sounds like a warranty claim. I would give SF a call and have them take a look at this. This certainly does not sound right.

JimmyB

Enlightened
I'm curious if the light ever took a dunking or it's typically used in a very humid climate?

I don't think you'll have a problem getting Surefire to take care of it under warranty.

cy

Flashaholic
failure reports for A2 is extremely rare. this is the first A2 failure failure that I can remember.

I'd call up surefire customer service and get a RA # to send back.

most unusual....

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dudes,

I wrote SF about my problem last night but have yet to hear from them, maybe in a couple days. Thanks for all the advice,

The Dude

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dudes,

Not only did SF write back, I sent in the light and they replaced the bezel, tailcap and lightbulb FOC! To put the cherry on top they installed new batteries as well. I couldn't believe it, it was like I got a brand new flashlight. I'm beyond happy, and am extremely confident in their lifetime warranty.

I'm totally stoked, dudes.:rock: I love Surefire.:)

greenLED

Flashaholic
dudemar said:
...it was like I got a brand new flashlight.
That's probably because they sent you a replacement; they tend to do that.

Did you ever ask them what was wrong with the tailcap? The tinkerer in me would like to know in case I ever have to deal with this myself (think field repairs with no way of contacting SF).

Illum

Flashaholic
marxs said:
sounds like the threads may need cleaning or the springs will have to be checked. hmm i dont really have a manual on dissecting, but you might like to take a look at these two threads on the a2

stuff on a2 threads
the SF a2 - has some pics, maybe you can get an idea

marxs

theres a A2 tune up thread somewhere that may help...if only I can find the link:candle:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
That's probably because they sent you a replacement; they tend to do that.

Did you ever ask them what was wrong with the tailcap? The tinkerer in me would like to know in case I ever have to deal with this myself (think field repairs with no way of contacting SF).

Actually the body was the same, same serial #. I didn't ask them about the tailcap, I think it was just wear and tear. I wanted to fix it myself (the purpose of my original post), but the new one did the job. Big thanks to everyone's advice though!

Thanks for looking Illum_the_nation, I'll try to find it.=)

Perel

Newly Enlightened
SF appears to generally just replace tailcaps - they're really big on sending your original body back no matter what, though. When I sent my A2 in, they actually replaced the regulator in the body and sent it back, same serial #. It looks like they think of the flashlight body as the actual item under repair, and tailcaps are a single part. From the A2 disassembly threads, this makes sense - I assume SF would have to fully remanufacture the tailcaps to repair them in many cases.

If an A2 with dead LEDs went in, I wonder if they would replace the head, or just the LED ring? My guess is that they'd just replace the ring, it's something special about the tailcap construction that makes them not worth fixing.