Clicky tailcap for Strion?

Cream Puff

Newly Enlightened
I've had this light for about 4 - 5 months and love everything about it except for one thing - the stupid tailcap! I never knew how much I disliked twisty tailcaps until I got this light. A clicky is much simpler, faster, and is easier to use with one hand. Yes I know you can operate it with one hand but after a while it gets too hard to twist with one hand unless you keep it spotless and thoroughly lubed. I can clean it and then put it in my pocket ONE time and it will start to grind when I twist it from little pebbles and junk in my pockets.:rant:

So does anyone know if anybody makes a clicky for it or does anyone know how to make a homemade one?

Also I got the "new" version that has the button that sticks way out from the bottom preventing you from standing it on end and using it as a candle. Why would they downgrade the light like this? Does anyone want to trade their old tailcap for my "new and improved" tailcap?:naughty:

If I can't fix these tailcap problems I might have to get rid of this light, that's how mad it makes me.:mad:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortuantely SL doesn't make a clicky tailcap for the Strion. At least not yet, maybe if we all called SL customer service and suggested it it might happen. Maybe one of our budding modders/ machinist might be able to come up with a custom made replacement tailcap that is a clicky? I posted a thread about getting a custom clicky tailcap being made today in Materials/Mechanical/Machining. Maybe we will get a response. I called SL and suggested it to them, then I sent an email to SL customer service and made those suggestions and requested the information be sent to the head of engineering and R&D. Maybe it will happen. It would also be great for the TL-2/3

Last edited:

Razor

Newly Enlightened
As far as a clickie goes, I'm not sure how feasible it would be as concerning the Strion. Because the contacts are both on one end, any potential clickie device would need a fairly substantial part of it to hold the battery against the contacts for it to stay on. I have no idea as to how to create such a tailcap, but I suppose it could be done.

As for not being able to stand the the light one end, well, it still can. That protruding button you mentioned (if it's rubber) is actually just a boot that snugs over the old, flat button. So in essence, the only thing about the "new" tailcap is just the added rubber plug. If you peal it off (it only takes some finger nailing), you will expose the flat button, and will inturn be able to use it in candle mode.

VWTim

Enlightened
Well, it's "almost" the old button. Similar dimensions, but has a cutout groove to hold the rubber. I tried to go the other way on my TL-2 and found this out. But if you want to take the rubber off, it'll be functionally the same.

BevinZX3

Newly Enlightened
My Dad asked what I wanted for a Christmas present and I told him I wanted a Strion. I was already aware of the only drawback; the twistie. However, I noticed that the Strion looks like the Scorpion from what I've seen. I don't own and have never owned a Streamlight. Is it possible that the tailcap on the Scorpion will fit the Strion? I believe the Scorpion has a clickie. It's worth a try if it looks like it will work.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
BevinZX3 said:
My Dad asked what I wanted for a Christmas present and I told him I wanted a Strion. I was already aware of the only drawback; the twistie. However, I noticed that the Strion looks like the Scorpion from what I've seen. I don't own and have never owned a Streamlight. Is it possible that the tailcap on the Scorpion will fit the Strion? I believe the Scorpion has a clickie. It's worth a try if it looks like it will work.

No they are very different. One thing worth pointing out is that you can make several different lights rechargeable by using a Strion bulb and a rechargeable battery. This would allow to use a light that has a clicky.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I thought the Strion came with a clicky now??

I guess I am mistaken.

The first time I saw the new tailcap (gun and knife show) I thought it might be a clicky and was disappointed to find it is not.

dw51

Enlightened
Unless there are some really bright (no pun intended) engineer types out there, I would guess we are out of luck. I don't see any feasible ways of making a reliable, user-friendly clickie due to the battery contacts being on the same end. I would say we probably need to just deal with it. Personally, I don't see it as a big issue. Yes, clickies are nice, but I've never had any problems with the twistie either.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
dw51 said:
...I don't see any feasible ways of making a reliable, user-friendly clickie due to the battery contacts being on the same end.
The existing tailcap has a pushbutton for momentary on. That tells me it would be quite easy (for someone with basic electronics skills and the right tools) to make a clickie.

VWTim

Enlightened
GeorgePaul said:
The existing tailcap has a pushbutton for momentary on. That tells me it would be quite easy (for someone with basic electronics skills and the right tools) to make a clickie.

Not really with the battery spring layout setup. If you eliminated that, there's plenty of room for a clicky.