Should I get a U2?

SCblur

Enlightened
I've never seemed to be that interested in the U2 before, but for some reason, I have started to covet them recently. My question is, would I be smart to get one considering that I have several multi-level lights already (in my sig line). For the U2 owners out there, what are your thoughts. I like my L2 a LOT, but I am very attracted to the superior regulation on the U2, and the ability to use 18670 cells for longer runtime than my L2 w/ 14670's. I have also been thinking that I would like the balanced beam from the U2 a lot, but since I have never actually held one, I don't know for sure.

Lay it on me guys, what should I do? Get a U2, or round out my collection a little more?

phosphor

Enlightened
Should I get a U2?
Everyone needs to own a U2 for at least a little while.....consider yourself having been bitten by the U2 virus; you will languish in the throws of feverish desire until you medicate yourself ! There can only be ONE cure....and it is indeed....retail therapy........unless of course you can find wholesale therapy !

-Regards

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely,yes.!!

Although the latest generation have a narrower tube that will not accept a 18650 cell.Although the bugs have all been ironed out (on mine anyway)

Miracle

Enlightened
if the 'latest/newest' U2 with its smaller body is able to use 17670 rechargables, I will buy a U2 over the Kroma because of throw and brightness.

SCblur

Enlightened
I'm surprised a U2 would out-throw a K2, since the K2 has optics...Wierd.

Also, I have no real use for colored LED's so the K2 would be too gimicky for my needs. I'd much rather have a U2.

Miracle

Enlightened
SCblur said:
I'm surprised a U2 would out-throw a K2, since the K2 has optics...Wierd.

Also, I have no real use for colored LED's so the K2 would be too gimicky for my needs. I'd much rather have a U2.

hello SCblur dude,

check out this beam shot comparision between Kroma and U2

K2-white-10m.jpg

:drool:

SCblur

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics... it definitely looks like the U2 is putting out a tighter hotspot, not to mention, it's just plain brighter. Now i want one even more.

Thanks Miracle

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 U2's and I absolutely love em.' This is the light to grab to walk my dogs (high) or to navigate around the house at night. (low) Every level is useful for something. If you get one, I think you'll like it.
smile.gif

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
Miracle, we mentioned several times the newer U2 *does* work well with 17670's, I have one in mine right now. I use one of the tiny rare earth magnets on the + end to make good contact, just like the older version with 18650's.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
mbirds said:
Miracle, we mentioned several times the newer U2 *does* work well with 17670's, I have one in mine right now. I use one of the tiny rare earth magnets on the + end to make good contact, just like the older version with 18650's.
Be careful not to drop it with magnets, it could fry your light if the magnet shoet circuits the battery....

My U2 is brighter than all 3 of my X binned lights, XO tint, almost no donut hole and it runs 18650's with NO magnets! HA matches perfect.

I really do have a perfect U2, I cherry picked it out of about 8 they had at my local SF dealer. The best part is he sold it to me for $200!

LOL, the same dealer still sells SF batts for $17 a dozen.

Miracle

Enlightened
thankz 4 the info all,

i read some where that magnets can cause the light to go 'POOF'!

is it because the 17670 is a little short to reach the contact points?

cant i just stretch the spring on the end to force it to make contact with the 17670?

:huh2:

Miracle

Enlightened
can some kind souls also please tell me why whould you want to send the center part of the body for repair?

I cannot understand what could 'go wrong' with this center section as it is just a cylindrical metal

:huh2:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I too had the "U2 lust" and finally gave in. Mine arrived yesterday. I had read many threads regarding U2 donut hole beams and tailcap contact problems, balanced by glowing reports for this light. I decided that I could deal with the possible problems and decided to go for it.

I chose a path less traveled and won mine on Ebay. I have been using Ebay for various other things since 1997, so I'm farily comfortable with the possible pitfalls. There is a CPF member who auctions a lot of U2's there. I think I got lucky with the final price of under $200. It arrived in 3-days and to my eyes the beam is perfect. The clicky was a bit stiff at first, but seems fine now with some use. The multi-level is fantastic, and man is it bright (level 6)!

Anyway, I would recommend the U2 without reservation. I know I will be keeping mine.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCblur,

I feel it necessary to caution you that you should not covet your neighbors U2 or your favorite distributors U2:ohgeez:

In answer to your question, "what should I do? Get a U2", I would say without reservation that the answer is yes.

The only things that would cause the U2 to be a better light in my book are things that currently cannot be achieved, at least with currently available non-military technology, and they are as follows:
  • Make the U2 the size of the Fenix or the McLux PD while retaining it's superb output and the very useful spread of levels.
  • Make the runtime on high and all subsequent levels longer through the use of better batteries and more efficient emitters.
Those are some pretty lofty goals so as you can see, in my opinion, the U2 is near perfect in it's current state and that is why I answer yes. It is "near" perfect only because it must be modified to use the most suitable rechargeable battery (18650) and it still does exhibit a noticeable "donut" in the part of the beam that should be the brightest portion of the beam. Bear in mind that this "donut" problem appears to be mitigated with the newer U2's and in my newest one, it doesn't frustrate me at all... at least all parts of me except for the perfectionist part:whistle:

While you should not covet your neighbors U2, I don't see any prohibition against coveting an ideal such as near perfection. Just don't bet your eternal soul on my advice.:)

-Goatee

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love mine, but i should have gotten it sooner :) i am afraid they might get outdated soon by more efficient LEDs.

-David

rmacias

Enlightened
SCblur said:
I've never seemed to be that interested in the U2 before, but for some reason, I have started to covet them recently. My question is, would I be smart to get one considering that I have several multi-level lights already (in my sig line). For the U2 owners out there, what are your thoughts. I like my L2 a LOT, but I am very attracted to the superior regulation on the U2, and the ability to use 18670 cells for longer runtime than my L2 w/ 14670's. I have also been thinking that I would like the balanced beam from the U2 a lot, but since I have never actually held one, I don't know for sure.

Lay it on me guys, what should I do? Get a U2, or round out my collection a little more?

If you can borrow one to test that would be your best bet. I was fortunate to get on the U2 pass around. The light is great but not for me. I think it has too many levels of light. You really don't need that many but to each his own. I'm pefectly happy with my L5 w/2-stage McE2S tailcap and RCR123's.

RJM

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
rmacias said:
If you can borrow one to test that would be your best bet. I was fortunate to get on the U2 pass around. The light is great but not for me. I think it has too many levels of light. You really don't need that many but to each his own. I'm pefectly happy with my L5 w/2-stage McE2S tailcap and RCR123's.

RJM

Please tell me where you purchased your 2-stage McE2S tailcap from and if it might be available still.

Thank you!

-Goatee

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the light with two small issues...

1 tint color shift on lower levels due to current regulation.

2 low would be lower for night adapted eyes. (jars3d sold me 3 nice color filters that work nicely)