Cyan 5w Reflector mod (ÜberZorch)

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Ok, I pulled apart my home-made Zorch-copy to get the nicely mounted LED for this one.

3D mag as the donor body, with a 6AA (3long, 2 wide) holder with custom electrodes. Brighter than any of my stock Mag-3D's.

fceb7cef.jpg

That's the battery pack. The other side is below.

fceb7c5c.jpg

The brown goop is dried gasket adhesive (rubber cement analog)

fceb7dd6.jpg

The ÜberZorch next to my Intellimouse Explorer.

Beamshots- taken 8 feet from the ceiling. First is the Zorch, then side-by-side with a Mag 3D, then superimposed beams. [edit] now color-corrected.
fce8df16.jpg

fce8dfe8.jpg

fce8dee5.jpg

Note: in the beamshots, the Mag's reddish beam is actually the normal yellow. The brightness of the Zorch screwed the camera's white balance, and I haven't had time to edit the pics to normal coloring.

Unfortunately, I have no light-meter.

[edit] new pics. The output end, with reflector, then with head removed to show PCB and Aluminum disk.

fce8e205.jpg

fce8e1d5.jpg

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
The LS/o PCB that I epoxied the 5w to is bolted to an aluminum disk that was carefully sanded to fit. It's a very tight pressure fit, and I had to put it in there with a piece of PVC tube and a mallet. I'm tempted to epoxy the disk in with AS thermal epoxy, and sell the light.

The PCB had it's mounting slots widened, to allow me to move it a bit, for perfect centering.

[edit]Here's the switch assembly before I did anything to it.

fce8e0d0.gif

Note: as far as I know, the switch assembly from a Mag-Lite 3D flashlight is patented by Mag Instruments, of Ontario, California.

Everything from that red line (added by an editor) to the right was removed with a Dremel. I needed it to go away to give me room to push the Al Disk in far-enough let the head screw on. Reworking the switch bits to work without the front half was interesting. If I make another, I'll take loads of pics for the mod-maniacs.

The reflector was snipped with the dremel so that the very bottom of the reflective arc would touch the PCB when fully screwed down.

I'm thinking of selling this one, anyone interested? NiMH batts are a must- it eats AA's like popcorn. I'll do a runtime test tonight.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Crapola.

I got distracted during the test, and didn't notice when it dimmed out. After recharging, I'll re-run the test.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
I finally got the parts I needed for the new battery-pack. It should be done in a day or so. 12 AA'a in 3 4cell holders, with one holder rewired. It'll act like 2 packs of 6 cells each.