charging time on Orb?

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
As I impatiently wait for my Raw Ns to arrive sometime next week i thought of a couple questions. Does anybody know the charging time of the battery for the Raw Ns? Also, is it okay to leave the battery on the charger indefinetly? I bought an extra battery for a back up and may not use the light a whole lot (after my first week of play time). Why does shipping take so long? Somebody should open flashlight retail stores in every town with a cheapmart.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Raw arrived the other day. I am almost afraid to take it out of the box:laughing:

I know there are 2 mini magnets that act as spacers allowing the battery to be charged. obviously you don't want to lose those.

Congrats on the Ns Raw

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im pretty sure Charge time should be about an Hour or even less since the battery is around 350 ma.

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
wow, less than an hour? That's awesome, so the first night i have it i can run it full blast all the time (with only regards to the known heat issue)!!!!! I guess the only other question is... do the batteries hold their charge like a lithium 123 or do the discharge like a nimh battery? It would be nice to have the extra battery charged up and forget about it.

quokked

Enlightened
tsask said:
I know there are 2 mini magnets that act as spacers allowing the battery to be charged. obviously you don't want to lose those.
on my Original RAW the charging spacer magnets weren't wide enough,
I made up the gap with a 10 euro cent coin. :laughing:

In terms of leaving it on the charger for long periods, i've left batteries on it for a few hours and haven't seen any problems, i think the nano charger goes into trickle charge after a while but the self discharge of the RCR2 cells aren't that high anyway.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
quokked said:
on my Original RAW the charging spacer magnets weren't wide enough,
I made up the gap with a 10 euro cent coin. :laughing:

I used my finger nail to pry off the tab and bend it out a little.
That fixed it.

:rock:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I had to prise the nano's contacts closer together too.

About an hour or so for full charge, there is comprehensive instructions on the orb website for all aspects to do with charging. They recommend not charging unattended! IE don't leave them on for more than the charging time if it can be avoided. Probably not critical in every case, but we all know how touchy these type cells can be if unloved and mistreated!

Also according to ORB they will hold the charge MUCH better than a NiMh. Probably for a couple of months, give or take. I've had an RAW 3W for a couple of months now and I think I've only changed to a fresh charged cell once. Nice little package to be sure.

If in doubt, contact Rob at ORB for more info and chat.

Be lucky...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello pilot:)

I've read you can store the charged LiIon's a few months up to 1 year with a little tiny lost in capacity.
I use my lights more often so I have no own experiences about that but don't worry about the storage time.

The nimh-cells will have a lot more lost compared to the LiIon's.
I will make a long time test with the fat Sanyos in short.

Best regards

____
Tom

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the NANO charger, though it is reverse protected, it's only good for a few seconds. I left a 123 cell on one the wrong way around and after 5 mins the charger was smoking and melting. Probably won't happen on a Raw cell as it's protected but the Raw NS cell isn't.