HDS Noise

FX67

Newly Enlightened
HDS Noise

I just got a new HDS Basic 42 XR GT and my question is:

Does your HDS makes a buzzing noise of different pitch when working (Different pitch for different setting).
Mine does and I can hear it 6-7 in from my ear.
Great light by the way.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Yep mine does too, but your hearings better than mine I have to put it to my ear to hear anything!

Mark

SCblur

Enlightened
Yup, that's totally normal. It has something to do w/ the electronic circuitry, not to be worried about. Congrats on your new HDS. I have the same one, and it's one of my favorite lights.

FX67

Newly Enlightened
I hope it is the same frequency as a mosquito repellant, so it can do a double duty.

FX67

Newly Enlightened
Yes, my background in electrical engineering so it got to be inductor singing. Sometimes they would be dipped in to some compound to make it vibrate less.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
FX67 said:
Yes, my background in electrical engineering so it got to be inductor singing. Sometimes they would be dipped in to some compound to make it vibrate less.

Capacitors, being piezo electric devices, will also "sing" :D

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of them do, to some extent or other. Mine was so loud on secondary mode I noticed that I was avoiding using that mode. At that point, it made a trip back to HDS, who fixed it up no problem. Still a little buzzing on some light levels but I usually don't notice it, and it's not bothersome when I do. Send it back if it gets so loud it's bothersome.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
great thread/post! I just ordered the exact same light XR GT! that close out deal means it's only $9 more than a basic HDS 42 on sale for $90. I'm glad to get the info before I got confused by that buzzing sound

schrenz

Enlightened
My 42GT does this noise, my 42XR not???But only if it's dimmed, on full power it "shuts up":laughing:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Glad I found this thread - thought I was going nuts! (ok - well a little more than I already admit to! :ohgeez: )

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I wrote Henry about the whine from my light, he told me that some lights have more inductor whine than others, and some people are more sensitive to it, but that in the end I'm (the customer) the one who decides whether or not it's too annoying. As I said, I did in fact send it back, and he fixed it pronto.

Joe

clipse

Enlightened
Mine does that. I squeals on primary and buzzes on maximum. :)

clipse

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey FX67, your light buzzes so the blind can use it too!

My B42 XRGT has a very very faint buzz on the 2 click setting. I wouldn't have noticed but someone else started a simular thread a few months ago.

My L2 on the other hand sounds like a mosquito on meth! Maybe I can use it to cut glass? It has its uses though, its an audible indicator that the light is in regulation.

Welcome to CPF by the way!

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Just got my B42XR, and wow, the squealing / whining noise on primary is mighty loud. I can CLEARLY hear it in my noisy office from 6 feet away...

In max mode, the buzzing is not as loud, and is inaudible past 12 inches...

The L2 is silent at max output, but a slight whine can be heard in low mode -- up to 8 inches... ...and I thought THAT was annoyingly loud... ;)

leprechaun414

Enlightened
My HDS U60XR makes a buzzing noise on each level too. If you listen very carefully it sounds like" You need to buy another light". On the brightest mode it sounds like" You need more flashlights"
Anyone else have this problem? :whistle:

Latest posts