Need led replacement for mag 4d cell flashlight

D

**DONOTDELETE**

guys.. i' m new here....

What do u guru's advise if i need replacement for my 4 d cell maglight?

i prefer mutiple leds on the lamp assembly... is there available in the market

would it be possible so that if the battery voltage drops there is an indicator?

and can it lessen the active LED to keep the ones on bight (automatic function of the lamp assembly)?

I need a very focusd lamp assembly (not flooded)...

i also need replacement for lamp of pelican super mighty light 2 AAA batts... also the brightest and most focused avail...

Tnx guys... pls post url!
grin.gif
tnx a lot....

I'm new in this sort of things...
grin.gif
still a virgin on LED flashlights!
grin.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
elektrolumens has done a 4D mod to use 5 C cells
and a 5 watt cyan Luxeon Emitter, it is unbelieveably bright. The battery mod is easy, cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe to the right length,
the OD is about that of a D cell, the ID fits C cells. All the gorey details are elsewhere on this forum. This will "supercharge" the light with the original bulb, at the expense of shortening its already short lifetime.

I'm not sure how available Luxeon LEDs might or not be available in the Philippines, mailorder fro USA should not present any problems.

The other mod is just cram in as many white Nichia NSPW500BS LEDs in as you can fit on a round PC voard that will fit inside the head,
put 100-120 ohm 1/4 watt resistors in series with each LED, or parallel them in groups of three, and use a 33 - 39 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor in series with each group of three. The aim is to get a 2.4V (approx) voltage drop across the resistor to prevent "smoking" the LEDs.

You might also check with Inretech to see if he has any drop-in assemblies.

good luck and happy illuminating!

/ed brown in the frozen tundra of NH

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly LEDs don't have throw (means they can't shine far) and are more of a flood lighting. BUT due to the genious of CPF's modders, they have managed to take a 5 watt Luxeon Star (A type of high powered LED) and fit it into a mag and make it focused light rather tightly. Ask around a bit more and read around in this forum to know. Use the search funtion.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jbechto (somebody provide his email addy, please) makes multi-LED PR replacement bulbs. I don't know how well they focus. LEDcorp makes a single LED PR replacement bulb that focuses very well (I got one for a friend).

Some of the modders can do a High Dome (HD) or Side Emitter (SE), Luxeon Star mod, that might work.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 4-led jbechto made bulb in turqiose that is designed for the 4d; I would be willing to sell for $14.00 shipping CON. USA included. Please e-mail
if interested. regaurds....Mark

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if Charles was recommending the Pro Series PR2 replacement from Ledcorp but I certainly will. It's a bright, high-dome LS with excellent colour. I have the 4-cell version myself and am very happy with it.

No muss, no fuss; just change the bulb.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Pro Series
LED Bulb
is that the one worth $39 ?

is it bright ? brighter than to cram multiple leds?

if i want to cam multiple LEDs what would u recommend in terms of candlepower/lumens over forcus... i need white LEDs

Thanks for the replies!
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

and what LED do u recommend to use when i will make my own lamp for the mag lite?

i need the brightest led available ... what is it?

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
Yes, $39.95. Expensive but they are solid well-built little bulbs. The website (www.ledcorp.com) has not been updated to reflect the new Pro Series that they started shipping in November. So reviews you might see elsewhere are probably out of date.

I would guess one of these bulbs is the equivalent of 7 - 10 Nichia 5mm LEDs. But since it is a single bulb it uses the reflector and can be focussed to a bright spot which is what you wanted.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Afterimage,

Does this mean that Ledcorp has fixed the problems reported previously on many Pro-Series units such as low output and pea-green color?

John

Zephyr

Enlightened
Originally posted by INRETECH:
The InReTECH TRILIGHT should work fine for you
Its designed for 3D, but it should be able to accept 4
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">INRETECH,

Will it be any brighter if you put it in a 4D cell configuration instead of a 3D? Thanks...

ZEPH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

how about the hydra? x4? hmmm guess its great cause its worth $200!!
grin.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a little brighter, just make sure the current is under 1A

The focusing is preset and not adjustable in the TriLight and other InReTECH products; but it is a much better focused/coll beam than the original

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
I have one of the aforementioned 5W cyan torches...they do hve a very long throw just because they put out huge numbers of photons. The beam is a very useable beam angle making this torch very pleasent to use. Unlike filament torches you get a nice smooth beam!
If you want to modify the optics to provide you with a very bright narrow beam, you may be able to obtain modded optics with these characteristics. As I understand it, the luxeon LED and its optics actually come separately, unlike 5mm technology where the die is moulded into a plastic casing, the end of which forms a lens.
Focussing all those photons into a nazrrow beam would, I thought, increase the beam intensity greatly!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

guys... if i parallel let say 3 Nichia 5mm leds what would the value of the resistor i will install... just 1 resistor i need for all three leds or more .... can u give the formula in layman's terms?. tnx..
and what if i have only 2aa flashlight bu want o drive 4volts led what device would i need? some what like a step up tranformer only for dc and smaller...
grin.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using 4 batteries, the voltage would be 6v which is more than the voltage of the White LED, so you would run the LEDs in series with a dropping resistor

Formula

R = (6-3.5)/(Current)
R= 2.5/Current

If you ran the LEDs in Par, you would multiply the current - for example 5 LEDs (@20ma each) would be 100ma

R=2.5/.1
R=25 ohms
Use 1/2W resistor (always use next size up)

Wattage = I^2R

It would be more eff and safer to run a dropping resistor for each LED; then the resistor would be 125 ohms (2.5/.020) and then the resistors could be 1/4 or even smaller; this would allow the small differences in the LEDs to allow for max brightness since each LED operates at a slightly different voltage