Finally got a MagLED drop in...

dragoman

Enlightened
for my new white 3D maglite.

I'm actually surprised. Output is quite good, orders of magnitude better than the Nite-Ize drop in for C/D mags....

Great output, similar to the amount from the krypton bulb, and the hotspot/corona are similar size.

All in all, worth the money IMHO....

dragoman

ronyama

Newly Enlightened
I found the same drop in at a Walmart in Torrance, Ca. yesterday. They must have restocked as they had zero last week. A great upgrade and very popular around here.

wicked1

Newly Enlightened
I picked one up yesterday. I am impressed. I have a 5 cell D mag with a 3W luxeon DD in it and it is not much difference to my eyes between both. It appears brighter than my MM with a 3W in it as well. I used it for over an hour straight under the house today repairing some stuff and it was over 93 degrees here today. I give it two thumbs up for less than $20.

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
they have crystals up to 36mm, that should be big enough.
what size is the D mag?

NetMage

Enlightened
According to flashlightlens.com, they are 52.1mm. I would suggest picking up a UCL lens from there...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
dragoman said:
for my new white 3D maglite.

I'm actually surprised. Output is quite good, orders of magnitude better than the Nite-Ize drop in for C/D mags....

Great output, similar to the amount from the krypton bulb, and the hotspot/corona are similar size.

All in all, worth the money IMHO....

dragoman

I agree.

However, being a nitpicky flashahololic, I have a gripe.
The Luxeon-Lottery.

The first MagLed was a very nice tint.
The second is distinctly purple...which I despise.
Someone mentioned buying a bunch, testing them, and returning those that have bad tint. Good advice.

But...I am really starting to sour on LED's for that very reason.
With an Incan, I know exactly what I am going to get. With an LED...it is a coin toss.
Another odd thing is that even though a LED may be very white (I have a couple of well-respected bins, as well as various Nichia and Snow LED's) or have a nice overall color, some seem still to have an exaggerated "flattening" or "artificial" effect...which is very bothersome to me.

Oops...um...yeah.
The MagLeds seem pretty nice!

Bob

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's kind of what I do. But, just to minimize impact on the merchant, I don't open all of the packages unless I have to. If I buy 6, and the first three are to my satisfaction, I don't open the other three to see if I got luckier. That lessens the impact on the merchant who in turn doesn't have to return the package to the manufacturer (all of which ends up costing consumers in the long run.)

pedalinbob said:
Someone mentioned buying a bunch, testing them, and returning those that have bad tint. Good advice.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalinbob

Brighteyez said:
That's kind of what I do. But, just to minimize impact on the merchant, I don't open all of the packages unless I have to. If I buy 6, and the first three are to my satisfaction, I don't open the other three to see if I got luckier. That lessens the impact on the merchant who in turn doesn't have to return the package to the manufacturer (all of which ends up costing consumers in the long run.)

Some of those opened packages may go back to the manufacturer,"...which ends up costing consumers in the long run".

Others just get hung back up to be sold again (I've seen this at Walmart). That means that some consumers don't even get to play the Luxeon Lottery, but instead receive a GBT (Guaranteed Bad Tint).

A short while back there was a very large to-do regarding a dealer picking out all the best samples and selling them at a higher price. Anyone remember that?
sigh.gif

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That wouldn't happen at our local Wal*Marts, the potential for theft with an opened clamshell is just too great and they just send the opened packages back to the vendor for credit. The only stores around here that put returned stuff back up on the shelves is Fry's, which probably explains why there are so many empty clamshell packages on their shelf hooks.

nikon said:
Others just get hung back up to be sold again (I've seen this at Walmart). That means that some consumers don't even get to play the Luxeon Lottery, but instead receive a GBT (Guaranteed Bad Tint).

Empath

Flashaholic
pedalinbob said:

Uh, uh! That's bad advice.

It's not fair to the retailer, not fair to other customers, and not fair to the manufacturer. Such is what jeopardizes liberal return policies, and makes retailer view all their customers as potentially out to rip them off.

Walmart has a liberal return policy, and the exchange of a bad tinted module would be no problem. Sorting through a "bunch" of them, keeping only the best, and returning the others is an abuse of that policy. If they refused the return, and made the customer mad enough to never enter their store again, both the retailer and their customers would be better off.

Supernam

Enlightened
I just got the MagLed drop in for my 4-D. I could have just gotten a new 3D with the LED already in place, which the reviews have said perform a little bit better than the 4D, but honestly I keep my Maglight in my car for defensive purposes so a big 4D has more utilitarian value in that sense.

I was VERY impressed with the output. As long as it is focused to narrow, it sure throws far! The sidespill is also very wide and bright. I love it! Not to mention the super run times. MagLED would be very useful for working on a broken down car in the middle of the night. Or it could also be reassuring while pumping gas at a gas station in the middle of nowhere (in a defensive tool type application).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, some chains (Target being one that comes to mind,) are already tracking customer returns. Not sure if Wal*Mart is doing it or not, but the stores that have, will flag the customer's name and will indeed refuse return privileges to an individual customer when they are being constanly abused.

Empath said:
Uh, uh! That's bad advice.

It's not fair to the retailer, not fair to other customers, and not fair to the manufacturer. Such is what jeopardizes liberal return policies, and makes retailer view all their customers as potentially out to rip them off.

Walmart has a liberal return policy, and the exchange of a bad tinted module would be no problem. Sorting through a "bunch" of them, keeping only the best, and returning the others is an abuse of that policy. If they refused the return, and made the customer mad enough to never enter their store again, both the retailer and their customers would be better off.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had composed a better response, but it didn't post for some reason.

While I understand the concern, it is a bit extreme claiming "abuse" for returning something according to established policy, especially when the person returns the item due to honest dissatisfaction with the product.

I am definitely not abusing their policy by returing items which I deem to be unacceptable, regardless of the number (I have not returned any of them, by the way).
When I purchased the LED, I expected a fairly white beam, not purple or green.

The retailer is welcome to change their return policy to prevent/define "abuse".

I know people that have truly abused the return policies.
The most common were girls/women that purchased dresses, and returned them after wearing them to a parties.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed the "dress returned on Sunday, after the party Saturday night" scenario is one that is most often cited, however you've (not "you" specifically) probably also known males who use a hardware store as a no-feel tool library (I know of more than one person like that.) And certainly, as an example, someone who buys say 6 Mag LED modules and returns 5 of them in opened packages would fall into the 'abuse' category.

On the other hand, if your store has no complaints about opening every package just to get the pick of the litter, then you shouldn't feel impacted. Conversely, if they do object and decide not to accept the return due to a long history (and it's not usually just one incident, but rather a history of them,) then they too are acting within their perogative.

As far as I know, no one who has had their return privileges revoke have taken the respective stores to court (of course that also means that all of their returns/abuses would also be publically revealed and entered into public record.)

pedalinbob said:
I had composed a better response, but it didn't post for some reason.

While I understand the concern, it is a bit extreme claiming "abuse" for returning something according to established policy, especially when the person returns the item due to honest dissatisfaction with the product.

I am definitely not abusing their policy by returing items which I deem to be unacceptable, regardless of the number (I have not returned any of them, by the way).
When I purchased the LED, I expected a fairly white beam, not purple or green.

The retailer is welcome to change their return policy to prevent/define "abuse".

I know people that have truly abused the return policies.
The most common were girls/women that purchased dresses, and returned them after wearing them to a parties.