Jil DD compared to Arc AAA question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I've been reading up on the Jil, and I really like the looks of the light. I like the indentations on the side of the tail cap that makes it look like it would be a cinch to turn on and off. It seems like for the DD models, after a quick 10 minute drop off, you get hours and hours of flat output that might make those expensive little batteries worth it. A question I have is compared to the new Arc AAA premium, how much if any brighter is it? What about compared to an LOP? I have the Arc AAA, gave away the LOP.

ROK

Enlightened
New ARC AAA & LOP... noway!!!
There are 2 kind of DD, TxxJ and TxxH.
H bin dd is much brighter than LOP and J bin DD is also brighter than LOP.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no comparison =D JIL DD all the way. I like the shorter formfactor and the finishing is JUST GREAT. I would say lasts longer than the HAIII on the ARC-AAA.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you buy these lights and are both DD versions still available? Does the H bin kill the runtime? Will direct driving the luxeon kill it much sooner?

ROK said:
New ARC AAA & LOP... noway!!!
There are 2 kind of DD, TxxJ and TxxH.
H bin dd is much brighter than LOP and J bin DD is also brighter than LOP.

ROK

Enlightened
LITEmania is the representative dealer.
You can ask him at following address.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123082
Yes H bin kill the runtime but run over 10hrs. Don't worry about lux life because it is underdriven.
geepondy said:
Where do you buy these lights and are both DD versions still available? Does the H bin kill the runtime? Will direct driving the luxeon kill it much sooner?

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you plan on using rechargables or not? Rechargable with a H bin overdrive it by a lot. If you use primaries at 3.0V, then you are not overdriving it and it is totally safe. Even more safe than some converters. Don't worry about killing anything on this board...you've got lots of members to help you fix/mod/upgrade things =D

I don't know where people get the idea that leds will just blow up and die a horrible death =P

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jil DD is now called LR model (long run) and will still be putting out useful light up to 20 hours or more (H Vf bin). If you compare the cost/runtime to a lithium battery in an Arc AAA, the Jil is still cheaper.

JanCPF

Enlightened
IMO there is no comparison between a Luxeon light and a Nichia light. The Lux in JIL DD has a realy nice even white tint, wheras the Nichia 5 mm. lights I've seen so far (Including my own Arc AAA older version) has a rather bad tint with a blue spot in the middle of the beam. The HA III on the JIL DD is exelent and holds up really well, and the reflector projects a realy nice beam profile. I have the TWOH version, and it's quite bright, and has a hell of a long runtime on a CR2 cell. It's a great keychain light, and not that expensive either.

Jan

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Jil DD with a J bin Luxeon over a year ago and I still haven't changed the battery despite using it extensively on camping trips and for reading. this_is_nascar measured that it still goes strong for 30+ hours on a primary CR2! The amount of light it puts out after the initial bright period is about the level of an Arc AAA premium, but as JanCPF said, the light quality is far superior. I also agree about the HA- I dropped mine on pavement one night to my dismay, but when I examined it, I could barely tell where it contacted the road.

My only caveat I'd mention with considering a Jil for your keychain is that, while a tad shorter, these lights are much wider in diameter than a AAA based light. For me, this makes it much more noticable and annoying in the pocket with my keys. YMMV, of course, but I prefer to pocket carry the Jil.