How shockproof is Surefire?

mdbuckle

Newly Enlightened
How shockproof are Surefire flashlights? Would an E2D stand up to smashing a window out of a car? What about everyday work related abuse like dropping, being thrown around and what not? How scratchproof is the lens?

carrot

Flashaholic
I've dropped my A2 multiple times (3+ feet to synthetic tile) without a dent, scratch or filament breaking. You shouldn't have to worry about damaging the E2D or its lamp. Filaments are not as easily broken as LED propaganda might suggest.

SCblur

Enlightened
Not very. I was pretty shocked when they came out with the Kroma and pocket rocket! I mean, who the heck saw those coming??

Or were you not talking about that kind of shock?

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
I have dropped my e2e and my M6 from about 4 feet onto concrete (not on purpose). The bulbs are not damaged and the lense doesnt shatter, but the aluminum will dent/smush a bit--HA3 is scratch resistant, not dent resistant.

Im sure everyone knows but I will add that just because they are tough, doesnt mean they should be abused. Its pretty easy to care for the light, and if you plan to throw it around maybe a G2 would be better suited than a metal light.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
the lens (pyrex) is very scratch resistant and the bulbs are plenty shockproof for everyday use and they are the most durable filament in any light i have ever seen. you more than likely wont kill a filament unless your purposely trying to and i have even failed at trying to break one.
anyway bottomline dont worry the light is tougher than you.

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
Here is a story from their website:

Enemy stronger than expected; so is SureFire
"My team was on rolling point just south of Fallujah when we detected an ambush. Underestimating the enemy force, we pushed through only to find ourselves outnumbered 3 to 1 and engaged by machine guns, mortar, and rocket propelled grenades."

"Shortly after making contact we were hit by two rocket propelled grenades, one of which impacted a foot from my head, breaking my arm, blowing out both ear drums, and dislocating my elbow. My M4 carbine, with SureFire WeaponLight, was blown out of my hands. After another hour and a half of fighting my team and I were medevaced and within a week or so we were back in the States. Later, when I got back my gear, I was amazed to find not only that my SureFire worked, but also that it was the only piece of my equipment that remained intact and functional—even my M4 had been destroyed."

"I served in Afghanistan and for two tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom. I've gone through a lot of gear during these tours and can testify the SureFire has passed my test."

"Thanks for making one hell of a damn good product."

Sgt. Eric K.
USMC

That's good enough for me! I've used my C2 as a hammer in a pinch with absolutely no problems. I also think an E2D would be a fine tool for breaking windows.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't know... If I had to punch out windows the last thing I'd use is my A2, given that I usually have a full-size multitool or at least a knife on me...

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a good look at an M2 bezel next time you get the chance. I've never seen such a shockproof, almost armored bezel on a flashlight.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
woah....the E2D will hold up DANG well.

breaking a window of a car will not damage it, although the hand holding it will from the glass fragments :p

get a porky for that purpose!

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Well lets see how many times my L4 has been beaten up at work...here are acouple of quick examples:

Was chasing a suspect with L4 in hand (I work 3rd shift), tackled him with L4 still in my hand it hit the ground as we both did. Still worked no problem.

Accidently knocked it off my duty belt while getting into the car, it hit the pavement...no problems other that loss of a little HA...

Have others as well but I am sure you get the point...tough as hell

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
my buddy's house just got robbed (he's a member here and will post story soon) and he had his L6 in hand when he searched his house incase anyone was in there. He's an LAPD officer and it's really a tough story :(

not the same type of "shock" but... the L6 did make his less worried while searching

clipse

Enlightened
I've dropped my G2 twice. Once the bulb blew (only had a couple hours on it) and the second time the bulb shifted in the LA and I ended up with a hotspot that looked like a Maglite. I never could get it to where it needed to be. Both drops were from about three feet. One was on carpet and the other was on concrete.

clipse

xring

Newly Enlightened
I can only speak for my G2. I dropped it 3 feet onto a concrete floor. Did not leave a mark, but the light no longer works, even with a new bulb assembly unit and new batts. Surefire is sending me another. Great customer service.

pyro

Enlightened
chesterqw said:
woah....the E2D will hold up DANG well.

breaking a window of a car will not damage it, although the hand holding it will from the glass fragments :p

get a porky for that purpose!

Do you own an E2D?

It will NOT hold up well!
for breaking glass one wants to
use hardened steel or a carbide tip,
but not aluminium.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I used to test and break glass for a living and most toughened glass is extremely hard but a sharp pointy item can shatter it with ease. I suspect an E2d would be up to the task for smashing a toughened glass window pane but the crenelated tips would likely deform and quickly dull making it increasely more difficult to shatter the glass.
Whether or not the E2d would remain function following it being used to shatter a pane of glass - I've never tried it but I don't see why not. It's not the best tool for the job but if you need to shatter the glass I'd use an E2d over my elbow any day!

Al

Illum

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
I used to test and break glass for a living and most toughened glass is extremely hard but a sharp pointy item can shatter it with ease. I suspect an E2d would be up to the task for smashing a toughened glass window pane but the crenelated tips would likely deform and quickly dull making it increasely more difficult to shatter the glass.
Whether or not the E2d would remain function following it being used to shatter a pane of glass - I've never tried it but I don't see why not. It's not the best tool for the job but if you need to shatter the glass I'd use an E2d over my elbow any day!

Al

isnt the bezel ring replaceable? chances are the dulled bezel ring is nothing if your trapped in an overturned vehicle with a fire blazin

batman

Enlightened
Anyone interested in testing the theory in real life?

I have plenty of experience breaking windows with rocks but I've never used one of my surefires.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my 9N's has been dropped on rocks several times with no more than
cosmetic blemishes. Although I haven't dropped any of my other Millenniums on
anything more than grass, gravel, or sand, I'm certain they would stand up to
it though.

SF makes some tough lights.

Happy Torching!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Al has brought up a good point about hardend glass. Most side windows on cars are made of HG but in a panic most folks will try to break it by hitting it dead centre. Doing this will almost certainly blunt or damage a Surefire bezel and still leave the window intact.

Aluminum, even HA111 aluminum, is too soft to break HG with any degree of certainty. What is required is a hardend and sharp pointed impact tool which should be used at or near one corner of the window.

Now of course 'IF' you don't have an impact tool to hand then by all means try anything to break the glass but 'Don't' waste your time by hitting the window near the centre and don't expect your Surefire to look too pristine at the end of the experience!

Doug

Last edited: